View Single Post

Old 11-10-2021, 01:42 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
The first table...

The first table, greeting you upon entering, next to the entry sign, belonged to Pete Ansoff. Pete organizes these conventions every year. He shared that they have been using the same location for years, and wishes to continue at the Hampton, but the costs at this hotel have become prohibitory. He's trying to make it happen again next year, if possible, at the same location. I thanked him for making this year happen, despite the obstacles.

The first images show a selection of his kits. Included are a couple of vintage cars, a space shuttle, A familiar building (more of that in a minute), and a couple of birds, most notably an owl (more about that after too).

Behind the pictures is collection of paper models that were auctioned off in a private auction for the members. I wanted to get a Titanic kit there, that was different from the Alan Rose kit that got destroyed in a recent flood, but I'm not a member!

But then again, you know what Arthur Marx said...but then, he wasn't wanting a large Titanic model, was he?

If you do become a member, you can bid upon the kits. They are donated by members and then bought, with proceeds going to pay for the conventions. There's a very large assortment of kits that are auctioned at a banquet in the evening, held at a location different from the hotel where the convention was held. I was advised that the auction was as typically as entertaining as it was an opportunity to get unusual kits. At this banquet, awards are allocated to winning table holder.

I should mention that admission to this convention is free. Members are those who rent out tables to display their work. There is a contest regarding best models that is fiercely pursued (some even bribe you with candy, but I'll never tell...). Visitors may vote for favored kits and displays. I noted this year, that a table that lets new participants rent a space, for $5 each, to display their kits without having to pay for a whole table. I understand that, in some cases, people split the cost of a table and share the space.

Tables are not made of paper...

Most tables are manned by the members. They are open to share observations and ask questions about their kits.

Pete, as the chair of the event, starts off the presentation with his table sitting next to the registration booth, which he was manning when I entered.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit.jpg