View Single Post

Old 11-15-2021, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A

This is my first Thread Post ever!
I'm excited to share with you guys a new project I'm working on.

For those that were able to attend the IPMC my models displayed were the F/A-18E "Super Hornet" and the Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag". Both of those were scratch built using 3 view drawings. Perhaps I'll eventually make a thread on those past builds, but as of now, I'd like to share with you my new model.

I am making an Amphibious Flying Boat designed and manufactured by Grumman prior to the Northrup Grumman merge. The Goose was to serve as an eight-seat "commuter" aircraft for businessmen in the Long Island area. During World War II, the Goose became an effective transport for the US military (including the United States Coast Guard), as well as serving with many other air forces. During hostilities, the Goose took on an increasing number of combat and training roles. First flight of the prototype took place on May 29, 1937. There were many modifications made to this aircraft, but for my model I will be making the first generation G-21A. The paint scheme has yet to be decided and I'm up to suggestions.

For this model my goal is to make it a "kit". I want someone to be able to cut out each part and build it. It is quite a lofty goal for me as I've never made anything replicable. So far, my progress has led me to complete most of the subframe. There is still a lot of work ahead of me; this will take about a year to complete. (fingers crossed)

Below are some pictures of my progress so far.
1. The plans I'm building the model off of.
2-3. Hand drafts of the parts. (They need work...)
4-5. All of the parts cut out and put together.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-goose-plans-1.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-frame-drawings-1.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-frame-drawings-2.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-frame-cutouts.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-frame-built-1.jpg