View Single Post

Old 11-17-2021, 04:19 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Tappi - thanks for the photos.

Hmm, the planking being in plates may make a difference.

I have thought about this and I think top-down is still MAYBE the way to go, but I would also try dry-fitting the planking plates to see how they fit. If the bottom-most section looks really problematic, then maybe do this first.

My thought here is that you can dry fit and then cut slits (and remove if necessary small sections) to get a good fit on the bottom. Similar to the wooden planking approach, except for the fact it is in one sheet.

But I assume the top sections are key as these will have to be aligned with and ports on the side of the boat. So another argument for doing them first!

Radek mentions a similar approach in terms of fitting etc.

In terms of the varnishing, do it. No harm in doing so. remember also that it protects further against warping from damp, and also from insects (such as fishmoths) if you have these in your area.

Very light spray coats repeated a few times will work without causing any warps or damage.

In terms of the rigging or details if you need any info let me know. I have an extensive library of all the classic historical books on wooden ships, including their building and rigging, ships boats etc etc.