View Single Post

Old 11-21-2021, 11:13 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Kevin Stephens Exhibit

The next table to visit was that of Kevin Stephens. Kevin is a very personable fellow and clearly very talented (see pic 1). He displayed a couple of very detailed tanks next to each other. Note how clean the build is and how the antenna on the one and the machine gun on the other look realistic.

The special exhibit of Kevin's was his tank hauler. The model consists of the truck, the trailer, and the tank on the trailer.

The detail on this kits is awe-inspiring, and my camera phone did not due the exhibit justice. There was a full interior, visible through the open apertures (see pic 2), tools scattered about the sides (see pic 3), more tools fixed to the tank hull (see pic 4), and even a chain pulley system (see pic 5). Stephens shared that to accomplish the chain system, in a realistic representation, he had to hunt down the right linkage and he offered a tip to be wary about choosing something that would look like jewelry chain. Though harder to find, what he selected was more realistic and therefore believable.

The final result is astounding and inspiring, both (see pic 6). The entire assembly is filled with gears, control levels, gas cans, shovels, buckets, dirt in the treads, and the awkwardness-of-reality touched into the design, making the model look like a holographic representation of a real vehicle, than modeled of paper. His windshield even reflects light well, making the effect very realistic.

Mr. Stephens also shared other tips for building, such as for the tires. Note again pic 3, specifically about how the tires have such quality texture. I was unable to get a pic of the tire process which he had provided in his exhibit, before he put it away, but the skilled management of layers of paper had been built up over each other, providing the rounded shape of the tires and groves in the tread. The sculpted layers resolved to develop the three dimensional texture he had affected, smoothed over with the paint. He even added dirt in the treads. If he forwards a pic of the example tire, I'll post it here as well.

Stephens and his partner were very open to answering questions about his techniques, and should be a resource to consult if you attend next year. He seems to enjoy discussing his work and sharing how to replicate his skills. Together, he and his partner noted that they shared an interest in developing young minds and seeing the value of paper modeling to do so. In this light, Stephens was very cordial to young visitor that attended, in my presence, and I recommend brining aspiring builders by his exhibit next year.

As we all age, our craft can be lost. Young people do not have the experience or exposure to building models that most of us had as we were developing, nor do they have as much opportunity to exercise very much hand-eye skill. So much of their world is attuned to digital screens and keyboard. Its easy to underestimate the need to teach them. It is equally difficult to realize how intimidated and anxious they can be when first trying to paper model; the experience being so alien to them.

If we want to see this craft progress to the next generation, we need to teach and inspire young people to learn what we know. We need to provide the instruction and demonstrations that will encourage young, capable minds, to learn what we know before they are no longer willing or able to learn these skills. As they age, the priorities of the net and computer screen can be very seductive. We need to develop teaching opportunities and adequate instructions for kits that are designed to keep the flame going, so to speak.

Kevin Stephens impressed me with recognizing the value of this mission.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephen-exhibit-tanks.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephen-exhibit-hauler.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephens-exhibit-2.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephen-exhibit-hauler-4.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephen-exhibit-hauler-2.jpg  

The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-kevin-stephens-exhibit-1.jpg