Thread: Bearhawk
View Single Post

Old 01-15-2022, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Bearhawk Build Thread

Bearhawk Build Thread 2022

Creating this thread because some non-experienced builders might need help if they use my model kit to help design their own paint scheme for the full size airplane they are building.

The Bearhawk is an amazing airplane. It has a big following of pilot/builders and builders wanting to join the ranks of the Pilot/Builders.

I’m going to start with the basics.

Tools, glues and text that help get things rolling in the right direction.

First off:

Paper models demand more attention to detail than any previous models you might have made.

You don’t cut the Part A off of a plastic frame, and then glue to Part B.

You cut the part out. Then you create the part. Might need some kind of pre-shaping, or does it have several bends and glue joints to make it into the shape required?

To add to the fun of trying to cope with parts that don’t fit a square shape when you want them too, too much glue can warp the part beyond use.

Please don’t ask me how many glue finger prints I’ve left on models through the years…Another example of using to much glue, getting on your fingers and adding to the outside of the model when clamping for glue pressure.

In other words a glue applicator is a must.
1) Some use Q-tips
2) Some use Toothpicks
3) Some use the glue bottles the glue comes in (sure thing for getting too excess glue where you don’t want it)
4) Plastic Glue squeeze bottles with a small metal straw to control flow
5) Plastic syringe used for ink cartridge refills (these are fantastic)
6) I use the Monoject 412-Dentist use them to flush the mouth out with a directed water jet stream. I bought mine on eBay for dirt cheap

Straight Edge
You will need a straight edge of some kind for accurate straight line cuts and scoring when creasing fold lines.

The more accurate your straight line cuts are the easier the model will be to make, Same hold true for folds. A crooked fold on the wing leading edge will change the shape. Cause the fuselage to twist like a helix…
Plenty of choices.

I use a quilting ruler that is 24”x6" with a non-slip mat super 77 spray glued to the bottom. The ruler is about 3/16” high and helps guide the cutting blade vertically.

I use several different cutters. If you get hooked on paper modeling, you'll find yourself in plenty of shopping areas with different cutting equipment.

For long straight cuts, a rotary cutter can’t be beat. If there are inside cuts along the straight, then I use a Fiskars hobby knife.

The hobby knife (Xacto) also takes care of any inside circle or arc cuts.

For outside arcs or circles, I use a sharp pair of scissors. The kind you squeeze down on the handle-not insert fingers, thumb into handle.

What kind of lighting do you have?

You will be cutting small thin lines accurately, good lighting is required! I like LED daylight to see with.

Cutting matt and area big enough to build at.

Glue:
Everybody has a favorite. Some build with super glue for paper. Get a drop of this in your eye and you’ll wish you were wearing safety glasses. Cardstock acts like a springboard sometimes.

PVA glue is a good stand in. Plenty of different brands and styles. White school glue. Elmers works, as does almost any glue for paper.

Sometimes you will need a glue for adding plastic windows/canopies. Wire for support? Wood supports many parts of my rubber band powered model, it rides on RC foam tires wheels supported on spring steel wire gear.

Super glue work good for these. So does Zip Dry and other multi talented glues.

My main glue is Aleene’s Turbo Tacky glue. It flows perfect out of the Monoject 412.

Attaching a PDF file that shows different tools and techniques for making model parts. Next post will cover construction.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013-Technique-Tools.pdf (432.3 KB, 17 views)