View Single Post

Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

since such a small stub is difficult to handle and edit, in order to make the work with my 2nd Spike easier, I've used an Evergreen Strip (2 mm x 2 mm), on which I first removed half of the tip area and rounded off the front part.

After that, I slowly worked the shape of the spike and carefully filed it bit by bit, slowly allowing the spike to take its final shape, which finally satisfied me.

The Spike was then shortened to the final, slightly longer length and sanded smoothly.

Here the other needed parts are to see, the Hatch made of Styrene (0,13 mm), as well as a Broom hair (Ø 0,15 mm ) for the handle, which is barely visible, and a German silver wire (Ø 0,25 mm) for the Connector.

Then the holes (Ø 0,3 mm) for the handle and the connector were drilled and the handle was bent, which was a bit tricky, as it was only 1 mm long, or better short.

Then the hatch was glued to the Spike and the holes re-drilled to the required depth.

Gluing in the shortened handle and the short connector into the holes was quite a game of patience, but it finally worked.

With this the finished Spike could actually be glued onto the Aft Bulkhead,

but wherewith I want to wait, until the Door covering and the Side walls are glued on.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)