View Single Post

Old 06-11-2022, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
After this I moved on to the top wing. The formers were stuck to 1.5mm mount board, my sturdy-but-still-cut-able material of choice. You get a front and back spar, and five ribs which curiously are positioned in pairs at the ends of this part, rather than distributed equally. I assume this is because these points are where the struts will be positioned when they come to be added. The technique here is cutting slots and inserting the parts in the indicated position, in fact no glue was required on the supplied parts. In order to get nice right angles I added some internal rectangles of mount board to even up the corners.

At this point I made a slightly silly error - after assembling the right (starboard) wing set of parts, I put together the left (port) wing with the printed sides the same way round, carefully matching the part numbers...and ended up with two starboard wings. It was not until I came to part W7 and it was upside-down I realised the mistake and had to do surgery, since I had already glued the extra rectangles. Luckily it was as simple as swapping the ends around. I asked the designer to add a note to check against W7 and perhaps reverse the spars to make it idiot-proof.

In the interests of rivet-counting I made some soft creases in the wing skin to suggest the doped fabric over the internal ribs. It's subtle but I hope will be seen when silver and varnish are applied. I also burnished the top surface to help the joint at the tip.

On the subject of rivet counting the other modification needed at this point was to get out my sewing kit and add the bracing wires so that they could be threaded through before the wing was closed. The London uses a typical arrangement of Xs between the struts so two threads would be needed from four holes next to where the struts would be mounted. The position of two are marked but I did have to guess the others next to the engines. A couple of threads in and I got the hang of making a knot, threading a fine needle and pulling through the holes. When the lower wing is complete I can thread them through there and stiffen the threads with varnish or glue.

After this, and with the ailerons cut out for relief, the wing was assembled. I used double-sided tape to attach the former assembly to avoid making an indentation, and bubble wrap to keep the shape of the skin.