View Single Post

Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Interesting question. I'm with the "whatever works for you" school. I really like the old Maly Moderarz kits for the simple reason that they do seem more in the spirit of paper model making (in my little mind, anyway) and when you get one of those old kits together, it feels like you've actually done something. That was the big appeal for me over p*****c kits, where it's more of simply assembling the model rather than "making" it, if that makes any sense. So I think there's that nostalgic fulfillment to the "old school" of paper modeling.
Having said that, I think it's unrealistic to expect an average modeler such as myself to achieve the same kind of results as a beautifully designed, computer-drawn, high quality printed kit of today's standard with laser cuts parts and vacuum-formed glazing. The technology of the day simply produces better models (usually).
It really comes down to what you want out of your modeling experience; if you want an incredibly detailed and accurate model that that really is hard to tell that it's paper, then I think you have to go with where the cutting edge is in the hobby. I mean really, if laser cut formers are a problem, then CAD drawn kits should be as well and only hand drawn kits should be acceptable.
For me, I like doing the old, hand drawn kits. I like seeing what the designers got right and wrong and somehow appreciating the effort and skill they put into their craft. Having said that, I just ordered my first kit with laser cut formers and vacuumed canopy!
There seems to be plenty of room in the hobby for all of it and more!
Chris