View Single Post

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green

I've been building this plane since January. I had started a build on the other forum (I think), but it's gone (and I am too) from there.

This is the Airco Dh-2 published buy Fiddler's Green. I've enlarged it to 1:24, my chosen plane scale.

The model is nicely illustrated, it a little on the bright side for the wings. As with all the newer FG Models they've done a great job capturing the shape while making an easy build.
This is my first early airplane, first bi-plane, and first with rigging.

The model is pretty close to being completed but thought I'd run the build through for entertainment and maybe to give someone else ideas.

I like to connect using strips attached to the inside edges when possible.
I laminated a print of the fuselage with the tabs trimmed off to another print of it with the tabs intact. This also gave the piece a little more body.
After trimming out the final piece it was easy to shape. I moistened the top to make it easier to curl and it worked great. Connect the top, fold and connect the bottom and it's well on it's way.
I cut the inside panes from the cockpit, added strips and thread (for rigging) and glued to the insides (before folding and glueing).
I inserted and glued the floor and the back of the cockpit. Next, I attached a thick piece of board to the back of the fuselage and glued closed. This thick piece added strength and helps keep the shape of the top rear hump.
I messed up the nose, so I cut off the offending (offended) pieces and added new prints. Glued, sanded, glued, sanded until I thought it was OK. It lost a little of theat nice Dh-2 shape, but I'll live with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-1img_4590.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-2img_4592.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-3img_4613.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-4img_4630.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-5img_4635.jpg  

Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-6img_4641.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-7img_4645.jpg   Airco Dh-2 1:24 Fiddler's Green-8img_4773.jpg