View Single Post

Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Strike ekranoplan 903 Łuń (Dove) class.

Hi all.

As promised to user Foxbat, I would like to present my very last project:

strike ekranoplan 903 Łuń (Dove) class, scale 1:200

If You ask some group of people, what is an ekranoplan, 98.5% will say "i don't know, I have never heard such a word". 1% will say "maybe You mean an aeroplane?". Only 0.5% will say "I know, it's also called WIG craf, it seems to me that Russians made something like that"...

That is why I decided to design and build a model of one of the most extraordinary (and armed) water(?) craft ever seen.

I encourage You to do some research in www, esp. at Youtube: keyword "ekranoplan" - few awesome movies showing those sea monsters in action.

As a navy-fan, shiplover and paper-modeler I prefer scale 1:200 - as a compromise between ease of build, detail level, size, and paper quantity required for build.

I started from this drawing:

and few pics found on the web, with help of my friend Agnius (thx for support in this project). Due to lack of detailed blueprints, this project is simplified:

Paper ekranoplan is designed as a modular construction (which is the most innovative conception in designing paper models, used by me in my Nansen class project, and by other designers in Poland) - modeler can build separated modules and, in one final move, put them together using joints (i.e. toothpicks ) and a bit of glue.

After completing most of elements in digital environment (Rhino) I started test build:

Jet engines:

Aft section and rudder. Here You can see the mounting points:

Bow section with jet engines mounted:

Midships with left wing. Those two pictures shows my "wing rapid mounting system":D

With all main sections completed, I glued them together:

All what left is to cut-off ASMs boxes and radar domes. As You can see, nose tip is missed (still in tests), exhaust deflectors too(right below ASM boxes, visible at first picture).

regards and:

sorry for my poor english. :D

storky.