View Single Post

Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
For the framing, I developed a technique to treat the paper like a decal. This works for card stock as opposed to copy paper.

After printing the frame, remove all the underlayers of cardstock leaving only that layer that captures and holds the ink imprint.

The ink layer is remarkably thin. Apply this to the canopy, inside and out with your favorite glue. There is the slightest edge that already has the ink impregnated. It's most convincing and easy to do.
Thanks Major. I'm going to give that a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
BTW, your vacform setup is very professionally built. Allow me to suggest that you mount the vacuum core from an old vacuum cleaner. That's my set up.
Thanks again. It's over-engineered, but I had fun making it. I do like the concept of salvaging a vacuum cleaner to make it integral with the whole rig (very "Myth Busters"-esque) but for the amount of run time this thing gets, plugging in a shop-vac when needed seems to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
... "i wonder how Mike would do this ?" ....
That's not necessarily a good thing Peter, for "Mike" would probably over do it and make a complicated mess of the whole thing. But, if helps you get to where you want to go in your models, then wonder away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hermit View Post
i need some for mine lol
You can have all you need if it will spur you to start that Orlik beast.

Well, I'm back in my modeling lair, but I don't have much of an urge to work on anything at the moment. The holidays have taken their toll. I did manage to rough trim one of the canopies and seems to fit pretty good:

It'll take some massaging, but should be OK. You can see some cockpit stuff in there. Actually, there's a sliding panel on either side for the pilot(s) to stick his head out, so I can't let those go unopened, can I? Then you'll be able to see everything fairly well.....

More as I can bring myself to make.

Happy New Year!

Mike