PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 726.58 MB
Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)

I saw the Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper build by Martin Sanger, as built by CMAGS. CMAGS had built his using raised panels on the exterior, which gave a more 'realistic' look. I myself have built this same model, with both the drive pods extended and retracted. For the former, I decided to attempt an interior build as well. Pics can be found here: Stargate Atlantis - Puddle Jumper.

After seeing CMAGS's build, it inspired me to revisit this model, but to attempt another, more screen accurate, interior build. In doing some internet research, I've discovered that there are 4 'screen accurate' versions. Take for instance, these 3 shots of the cockpit:

Each one has a different level of configuration. The first 2 have bulkhead mounted lights, while the third one is completely different. The third one, if i remember correctly, was one that they had acquired from the human replicators in season 3, and used thereafter. The first is the same as the second, with the addition of various equipment (including the microphone boom above col. sheppard).

Then there's this one, used in Stargate SG1, which omits the rear compartment bench seats in order to make room for the addition of the time machine device:

One the supbject of the rear compartment, here's a shot of a jumper being built on location before filming:

Here, we can see that the bulkhead of the rear compartment is flush with the ramp, allowing space for the drive pods to retract into the body, and the cockpit is actually bigger, spanning the entire width of the Jumper.

This shot:

shows a completely sparse rear compartment, compared to this one:

which has the addition of the various gear the Atlantis expedition added.

So, from these screen shots, there are 4 versions to consider building: 1) as found when they arrived at Atlantis, 2) after they crammed all of their gear into them, 3) the time machine version with no rear seating, and 4) the human replicator version. As far as i can tell, no outside appearance changes were made. For my build, I'm going to start with version 1), and then attempt to build it up to version 2).
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 AM

update: here's some progress on my project. This is the interior floor, ramp and the rear area bench seats, and the bulkhead wall, left and right, that separate the rear from the cockpit.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Looking pretty good, Will. Just one note - the texture on the ramp isn't symmetric. Nothing overly noticeable, other than to nit-pickers like me.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM

good call. I missed that.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Looking good so far.
Are you just designing the interior for Martin Saengers Puddle Jumper, or are you designing your own complete Puddle Jumper?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM

I'm using Martin Sanger's PJ as the base. All I'm doing is adding the interior to his. I'm not altering his in any way, shape or form. From the Jumper of his that I've built, I see no reason to redesign the entire thing
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to SEBRET
Looks Good so far
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by will71 View Post
I'm using Martin Sanger's PJ as the base. All I'm doing is adding the interior to his. I'm not altering his in any way, shape or form. From the Jumper of his that I've built, I see no reason to redesign the entire thing
Well, you are doing a very good job on it. What you have so far looks very good. I will wait until you finish this, before I build the PJ.
Thank you for doing this. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi will71,

nice project, looks very good. Here some additional pictures for you.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)-sga-12-004.jpg   Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)-jumper-1.jpg   Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)-jumper-2.jpg   Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)-jumper-3.jpg   Stargate Atlantis Puddle Jumper (pic heavy)-pdvd_2338.jpg  

Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Thank you everyone for the kind remarks. And thank you, Martin, for the pics. Some of those I already had, but the one of the dhd, the 2 soldiers and the one with Dr. Carson I did not. Great shots for detail work when i get to the console.

I was thinking about something the other night, and it dawned on me that this model wouldn't be too difficult to reconfigure just a touch to make the drive pods retractable. All they would have to do is slide in and out. So once I get the interior details complete that will be my next project. I think it'll just be a matter of printing out the pod attachments, and cutting slits in the bottom of the jumper, where they attach to the ship. The part I haven't figured out yet is how to get the engines themselves to slide up and down. Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsM0AvhdhZ8. Any suggestions?
Google Adsense