PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yeah. It's just nuts.....

Here in Holland, we use gsm as paper weight measurement. (The imperialists lost the battle ... )
And reading comments and the few blogs/forums on the subject in hand, I decided to print out the whole model in 3 weights: 140 gsm, 160 gsm and 200 gsm. These weights should accommodate load-bearing structures, structural forms and the more delicate parts.
I have to say: It sure helps to have my good lady running her own sucessful copy/print business ....

Anyway, I figuered there were going to be a few instances of FUBAR's occuring, so in some cases I decided to print a couple of extra copies of a few of the pages in the model. Especially the nutty nuts......

So, with straight edge, scalpel, a beer and some of Amsterdams finest , I went nuts on the first one......

It was at this point that I discovered that my eyesight and hand control is not what it used to be....(Grand old 50 next year..... )
Basically, the result of the first nut was not exactly brilliant......

2001 Discovery-first.jpg

I sat there thinking and wondering how long my sanity was going to last on this project, let alone the consumed liter-age (<--note: more metric stuff!!) of beer and full ashtrays.... I have to mass-produce ,was is it, 33 of these things????

CLICK!!! 3 earlier (a lot earlier,) years of Production Engineering experience switched on a brain-cell somewhere screamed: JIG !!!!

So, spending most of the evening and 2 attempts to get it right (I think), I made a simple jig, in the lateral shape of the nuts, out of a few laminated pieces of thick card. I made sure that all the curves, angles and straight edges were 'spot on' at the bottom edge of the hexagonal 'pit'. That should give a good firm, square, correctly shaped form to push against when gluing down the tiny tabs.

Using the 160 gsm paper, I used the jig for the second attempt.
The system worked really well for the gluing process. Until I tried to get the nut out of the jig............... The model is card, the jig is card, the glue is white glue..... You dont need to be an engineer to work out the result.

Muttering to myself in frustration (already) ,and looking for more rolling papers, I suddenly thought of a colleague of mine from long ago, who's nickname was TEFLON; Because nothing stuck ....

"What a silly **** I am!", I exclaimed. SILICONE !!!!! Not a lot sticks to that either, AND it is waterproof (marine grade). That should solve the problem of the glue soaking into the jig and gluing the nut to the jig.........

So, here is a pic of the jig, now coated in a thin, well worked silicon 'shield'....

2001 Discovery-jig.jpg

So, until it has cured properly, and I give it another trial after the Easter holidays, I will leave you to ponder on the stress created, when I discovered a box of about 50 items in my bits box (my whole attic is a bits-box, to be honest),.............

2001 Discovery-img-20120405-00012.jpg

But then it wouldn't be a true paper model......

Would it.........
No, but the nuts are exactly the correct size....

Yeah, but IT'S NOT PAPER!!!

But, the angles of the metal nuts are exact, ensuring a true linear spine ....

Yeah, BUT IT'S NOT PAPER!!!..

I know, but, NOR IS THE WOODEN DOWEL STRENGTHENING THE SPINE, Ok it is the same material, but, ......

You get my point ........

But I will finish it....

Laterssssss.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.3 KB
Can't imagine why.

"So, with straight edge, scalpel, a beer and some of Amsterdams finest , I went nuts on the first one......

It was at this point that I discovered that my eyesight and hand control is not what it used to be..."

------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be careful with the scalpel.
Ahhh the memories... wait, what was I thinking about?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 PM

For more photos

This is my public folder on photobucket.

2001 Discovery pictures by Randomstuff_2009 - Photobucket
Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Yeah, it's just like: How do you reliably make an appointment for a Alzheimer Anonymous meeting........?

Dunno, I forgot....
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Your Bucket-Full-Of-Photos, is what lead me here...........

Is there a sinister, dark path ahead of me, I wonder........

But hats off to you Sir. Nice job on your build.

If you prefer, I can start another thread..... Your call Boss.
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Oh, I don't mind.

Feel free to use this thread or start your own. I like to start a thread just to see how far it goes. This thread has sure gone further than I thought it would.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Then let us share the limelight of our past and future success...

We shall fly forth together and stand as Sentinels (note the pun) to our paper modelling companions that have failed and fallen by the way-side on their quest to complete the holy grail of all things paper....The USS Discovery's spine........

Thanks for having me onboard.

I'm going to bed now .....This is nuts ....... Hahahahaha

Happy Easter, All.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Progress comes in large or small leaps.....

I'm still at it......... I am dreaming about nuts, my missus says I'm nuts, my life is becoming hexagonal......

I'm plodding away at the spine at the moment, doing a few of the damn nuts, a few couplings, and doing some other sub-assemblies to break the repetitious boredom of the spine...

I started a few of the fuel modules, and again made a jig to speed up the assembly process, which works really well....
I really want to make sure that all the modules are exactly the same and perfectly square. I think if there is any 'waviness' or un-straight lines on the spine, it will stick out like a sore thumb. The jig should help to achieve consistency in the modules...
The two edging pieces on the bottom are cut to the exact angle of the two small side 'rails' along the side of the main face of the module.
2001 Discovery-img-20120511-00230.jpg
I made a former to place at the end of the module to hold the faces true and in shape whie gluing the end cap.
2001 Discovery-img-20120511-00233.jpg

While I was making the cone shaped connectors for the spine, I found something in my kitchen that works really well as a mandrel for the cones......A modern wine bottle stopper!
2001 Discovery-img-20120511-00238.jpg

And to please me even further, the ball at the end of the thing has the exact profile of the small dishes in the radio array.......
2001 Discovery-img-20120511-00245.jpg
Ha, and to add to that, a top from a glass storage container, again from the kitchen, is perfect for shaping the main dish .......
2001 Discovery-img-20120511-00247.jpg

Anyway, apart from that, progress has been slow, to be honest.
I've gotta keep the missus entertained and make sure she doesn't feel 'left out and ignored'...... My work as a Database Administrator is very busy and takes many of my hours. Also with summer on its way (?) I am busy with a major re-landscaping of my garden.... The garden has sunk about 1/2 meter in 5 years.... But when you live in the Netherlands you get used to that.... That's what you get for having your house built on an old seabed.........( If anybody is interested, I live in Almere, Flevoland, The Netherlands

I will report back soon with some progress pictures as things start to come together.

Bye for now!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 AM

Now, THAT was tedious.

But, here is the completed spine.
Took a lot of effort, but well pleased.

2001 Discovery-img_3845-1-.jpg

2001 Discovery-img_3856-1-.jpg

2001 Discovery-img_3860-1-.jpg

2001 Discovery-img_3868-1-.jpg

2001 Discovery-img_3871-1-.jpg

(( >> Admin/Mods. Is there a way to split this thread and start a new one, without having to redo/copy-paste everything again?? It is not fair taking over GAMERA's thread. << ))
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Banned

Thanks for the update, that's a nice build and does look like it was quite tedius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokawe View Post
But, here is the completed spine.
Took a lot of effort, but well pleased.

Attachment 132901

Attachment 132902

Attachment 132903

Attachment 132904

Attachment 132905

(( >> Admin/Mods. Is there a way to split this thread and start a new one, without having to redo/copy-paste everything again?? It is not fair taking over GAMERA's thread. << ))
Google Adsense