PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Smile Starcraft Siege Tank Build Along (Sort of)

WARNING: If you are a paper-only purist, please be aware that the following thread contains graphic and possibly disturbing use of other materials, including, but not limited to wood, plastic, metal, cardboard, mat board, bits from other toys, and anything else that suited my needs.

If you are a paper-only purist…deal with it.

No Zerg were harmed in the making of this model.

The Backstory: Every Starcraft player develops a "club," their favorite tactic or weapon for stomping the bat snot out of their opponent. For one of my two best friends, it's a steady, unending stream of Hydralisks, while the other uses as many Protoss carriers as he can field.

For me, it's the Siege Tank. Ever see what 36 Siege Tanks can do to a large force of Protoss Dragoons? Ever HEAR 36 Siege Tanks simultaneously doing in the aforementioned dragoons? The only thing louder was the scream of shock from my brother across the room, as his prize troops vanished in one fell swoop. Immediately after that the nukes hit the 'lisks and Carriers, and chaos ensued. But I digress…

When I first learned of paper models, I hunted for 7 or 8 hours straight until I found the Siege Tank. I was surprised to find a copy. To this day I have no idea where I found it or who designed it. But it was one of my first attempts at paper modeling. I originally began this model a few years ago, but gave up on it for two reasons:

First, the instructions kind of blow, especially when it comes to constructing the turret. Second, some of the parts are fairly large, and should have internal supports. As a novice paper modeler at the time, I just cussed the warping and flimsiness.

On top of that, my main playmate is my son. He's five. He loves his paper battlemechs, his hovercraft, and his motorcycles (which reminds me, I haven't seen those in a couple of weeks). He takes good care of his models, but they have a tendency to need frequent repair. Sometimes they "get blown up," other times, they just succumb to normal use. Having already come home from work to see his paper battlemech in pieces around his room ("It got blown up, Dad. Can you fix it?"), I decided this tank was going to be as tough as I could possibly make it.

With that in mind, I decided to build another siege tank, and actually finish it this time. Tougher, stronger, faster (insert Six Million Dollar Man theme here).

On top of that, this one would be "upgraded" for lack of a better word. From the moment I decided to build it, it screamed "DETAIL ME!!" which, of course, woke up my wife, leaving me to explain why a PDF file was screaming. I'll satisfy my ulterior motive: detailing the tar out of it and using it for miniature war games. ("Son, could I take the tank into town tonight?")

So, while the original model is red and grayish-green, I printed my copy off in grayscale, black only. I'm going to repaint it anyway, and the only ink left in my printer is black, so why waste it? I printed the whole mess on good ol' Wal-Mart special 110lb card stock.

To reinforce it, I'm going to use cardstock, foamcore, plastic, wood, and whatever else I need. When I go to detail it, I decided to look at plastic models, and see what they had done: tools, extra tracks, cables, wear and tear, etc. Since I also run heavy equipment (like D-9 and D-10 dozers)at work, I have an excellent opportunity to see (and put) some actual wear and tear on treads, undercarriages, roller wheels, idlers, and so forth.

I also wanted to photograph it to hopefully provide a decent set of instructions for the next person.

SO, here goes.

THE HULL
I started with the hull, cutting out each piece and then lining the insides with cardboard. Pretty much every paper piece in this thing is lined like this. If you do this, there are two important things to note: 1)The cardboard liners need to be slightly smaller than the parts. They may also need notches cut into them to allow for tabs. 2)The liners do not need tabs.
The Nose parts layout:

Liners in place inside the nose:

Inside the main hull:

Inside the upper hull:

I decided to replace the lines on the nose with some raised bars. I used sections of model sprue.

A few shots of what I have thus far (with a Tau Fire Warrior for scale. Why a Tau? Because I don't have any humans handy. I think they were at some sort of union meeting that day.)

THE TURRET
For the turret base, I really didn't like how the paper turret ring came out, so I ditched it entirely. Instead, I used a plastic case from my work. Originally it held a roll of electrical tape (more on the tape later).

It fit okay, but seemed a little tall, so I trimmed it down about 3/16" and glued a smaller disk of mat board underneath to give it a more realistic look.

The nifty new turret ring in place (naturally it will rotate)

So here's what I have so far:

The small piece of brown cardboard you see in just in front of the turret ring replaces a part that A)I couldn't find, and B) Since I couldn't find it, I like my replacement idea better.

That's all so far. My next step is to redo the tracks...
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Judging from the size, it looks like it was the Taiwanese model released about 3 or 4 years for a short period of time.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjev View Post
WARNING: If you are a paper-only purist, please be aware that the following thread contains graphic and possibly disturbing use of other materials, including, but not limited to wood, plastic, metal, cardboard, mat board, bits from other toys, and anything else that suited my needs.
that's my cup of tea!

Quote:
For me, it's the Siege Tank.
second that!!! unfortunately my current pc doesn't support the new game, so I can only speak about the first one-CULT!!! anyway, siege mode forever

so, we want a super tank make us happy!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMORMAN View Post
Judging from the size, it looks like it was the Taiwanese model released about 3 or 4 years for a short period of time.
That could be right. As far as I know it, it is the only siege tank model out there. I have it, and the existing instructions, if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

OR

We could always include it in our downloads section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
anyway, siege mode forever
In SCII, I've become a fan of the Banshee for ground assaults, although I usually have some Viking fighters handy to keep enemy air off them. For defensive purposes, though, a few siege tanks around a missile turret are hard to beat. Throw in a bunker with a Marauder, 2 marines, and an SCV and you're a tough nut to crack.

Anyway, back to the grind.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
Quote:
We could always include it in our downloads section.

Kjev, you are not only a creative Dad and artist, you have a sense of humor that had me laughing my ass off. I have yet to play SC2 (I know, shame on me) But have AVIDLY played SC1 since it's beta release oh so many years ago. (Im one of those Protoss Carrier addicts)

I also have this version of the Seige Tank, and another version. I dare not post them cause I can't remember where, when or from who I got them. I know therre are different versions out there, can't be only the one yanno.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Im enjoying it.

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Horrors! Let me sit down, I feel faint!

Seriously, more power to you. One of the older (now defunct) paper models forums used to feature long, soulful discussions about the propriety of "mixed media." It was all very silly. We don't do dogma here.

No worries,
--David
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Rick View Post
Kjev, you are not only a creative Dad and artist, you have a sense of humor that had me laughing my ass off. I have yet to play SC2 (I know, shame on me) But have AVIDLY played SC1 since it's beta release oh so many years ago. (Im one of those Protoss Carrier addicts)

I also have this version of the Seige Tank, and another version. I dare not post them cause I can't remember where, when or from who I got them. I know there are different versions out there, can't be only the one yanno.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Im enjoying it.
I'd love to at least see pics of the other version. As far as posting, if they were free, there GENERALLY isn't a problem with posting them, in my humble and quasi-educated opinion. I'm still hunting for a Goliath, though.

As for the humor, it's how I handle everything. The worse things get, the more I laugh. Sometimes in humor. Sometimes in hysteria. It's kind of a twisted way of coping.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 22.53 MB
Cool--I've long dreamed of enlarging this model to cut out of sheetmetal and turn into a self-propelled PC case...

Mixed Media FTW! (Especially since you can't make functional electronics out of paper, and something like this begs for light, sound and maybe a couple Ping-Pong-ball cannons if built big enough...)
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondback View Post
Cool--I've long dreamed of enlarging this model to cut out of sheetmetal and turn into a self-propelled PC case...

Mixed Media FTW! (Especially since you can't make functional electronics out of paper, and something like this begs for light, sound and maybe a couple Ping-Pong-ball cannons if built big enough...)
Never thought of that!

I have seen a case made out of wood in an old Maximum PC article, though.

What if a body was to stick the chassis on an RC tank, or even better, custom build an RC tank out of this thing (with the ping-pong cannons--GREAT idea!)? Any RC modelers out there?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 22.53 MB
The concept with "Siege Tank PC" (it was conceived for an old college buddy I used to SC with) was to link the tank and onboard computer mechanisms--deploy it with the hatch open and relevant umbilicals connected and the PC inside boots (I'm talking a full EATX workstation-motherboard, not a little Mini-ITX shoebox), while it's up you can aim and fire either the Arclite cannon or the pair of ping-pong cannons to dissuade irritants or distract other players from their game, and when you shut the PC down it automatically repacks into Tank Mode for a remote-controlled roll out to the car.

And, in light of it being conceived in one of the wettest places in the USA, it'd have to be watertight.
Google Adsense

Tags
siege tank, starcraft, starcraft 2, starcraft ii, tank