PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Locust mech

I've completed another small mech, my fourth. I think that's about it for the 1/72 scale mechs, my next one will be bigger - 1/40th scale. A link to this small and simple locust mech can be found here:

PaperandGlue - Mecha Anime!!

The model is made up of 4 printed pages. It stands about 5 inches (12.7 cm) tall when completed, not counting the antenna. There are no build instructions, which did give me pause a couple of times, especially the ankle joint. The build isn't really difficult, but you do have to think. A few of the parts that need to be rolled are oriented wrong on the page - against the paper grain - (antenna, laser cannon, and optional long range rocket tubes) which makes them hard to fabricate smoothly. I decided not to use the LRR option anyway. The antenna was impossible. I made a new one from thinner paper oriented with the grain.

The Locust class mechs are supposed to be speedy little buggers (at 20 tons, little in relation to other mechs, that is), so I built mine in a running stance.

In order to display the model in this position, a base was called for. It would also mean that all the weight of the model would have to be carried by one spindly paper leg, so I would have to get inventive to make my idea work.

I made a 3"x 6"x 1/2" base of black mat board. I wanted to experiment with some simple ground work for this display, so I traced the outline of the groundwork on a piece of paper, taped it to a sheet of class, and covered the paper with clear plastic from a freezer bag. I made up a batch of Celluclay (instant paper mache) and spread it out to match the shape of my groundwork outline. I made depressions where the foot would go, imbedded some rocky detritus (kitty litter), and then let it dry for a few days. After it was dry I peeled off the plastic wrap, and sprayed the top of the groundwork with Krylon white primer to seal it. Then I painted the ground with shades of brown and orange acrylic paint, and glued it down to the mat board base. A Classic Battletech logo completed the base.

I made a half inch block of card by gluing layers of matte board together. I glued the block to the underside of the base right under where the foot would go. I drilled a hole thru the groundwork and into the matteboard block that matched the angle of the leg. Then I glued an 1/8 wooden dowel into the hole. The dowel will carry the weight of the model, rather than the paper leg.

To complete my display I slid the locust's hollow leg over the dowel, and glued the foot to the ground. I declare this one done!

Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 642.97 MB
I liked this model, but how aquisition???
the link was bad
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Nice little model with EXCELLENT presentation!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The base is very nicely done, and adds so much to the visual impact of the displayed model (context!). I really like the irregular shape of the patch of "soil' on the rectangular base. And your dowel-in-the-leg support solution was very clever and nicely implemented! Great work!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
That's a great model, all the better for the diorama display!! I have had a plastic version about the same size semi-complete for years but never once considered it as a 'runner'...certainly food for thought as your display definitely gives the impression of speed and agility...
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Very nice model, and a superb display! Congrats!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Wow, it's always nice to see one's thread resurrected after so long - especially with so many positive comments. I tried the link in the thread, marciomts, and it does seem to be dead now. However, dozens of other free paper 'mechs can be downloaded for free here: The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - Mechwarrior Paper Model Download Links I'll poke around a bit and see if this little Locust has another source. If I find another link I'll post it here.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.66 MB
very good!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 642.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Wow, it's always nice to see one's thread resurrected after so long - especially with so many positive comments. I tried the link in the thread, marciomts, and it does seem to be dead now. However, dozens of other free paper 'mechs can be downloaded for free here: The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - Mechwarrior Paper Model Download Links I'll poke around a bit and see if this little Locust has another source. If I find another link I'll post it here.
I try but the link is bad in this site
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Great looking Mech!
I like the way you displayed it, also. What did you use for the "dirt"?
Oh, and thanks for the link.
Google Adsense