PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton

Those of you who (also) follow the SF page on my website (www.zeistbouwplaten.nl, page Aviation, > SF) will have seen that this whole Early SF idea is a result of coïncidences. I came across Jayo Sutton's Tintin Moonrocket several years ago, and started searching for other fantasy rockets. I scoured Google pictures with cues like SF Paper Models (not so good - got loads of San Francisco links), Science Fiction rockets paper models (a lot more effective), Retro rockets (several hits, but surprisingly nothing about breaking rockets...). Hundreds of links to Startrek models, and just a few to things I was looking for.
A few weeks ago I came across a picture taken at a USA paper modelers convention several years ago. I traced the photographer, who informed me that the Cosmostrator and the red-and-blue spaceship in the background had been designed and built by a friend of his - Jayo Sutton.

So I contacted Mr Sutton, who kindly sent me the files of both models - apologizing for the fact that the instructions were unfinished as yet. He also mailed a picture of his Buck Rogers Space Batlle Cruiser.

Having just finished the Space Ark (see other thread) I studied both models carefully. For the phantasmagorical Cosmostrator I am trying to find special metallic paper (chrome, or silver) suitable for a laserprinter. I have traced silver paper, ca. 180 grams, but tips about chrome paper are welcome. Also, some work needs to be done on the files themselves, to make cutting lines visible - it is just a matter of time. Watch this space (forgive the pun), I will keep you informed.

So I started on the Space Battle Cruiser. Extra parts are included in the package to make red wings and fin, but I rather like the typical comic strip colours of the blue and red version, as seen in the picture. No instructions after part 3, no sketch with part numbers, but the model seems fairly straightforward. So here is the first stage of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-cosmostrator2small.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-001.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Next stage - a few more parts of the fuselage, with wood strengtheners for wings and fin. I have now reached the end of the known universe: this is as far as the instructions go. It proved difficult to find the advised 1,5 mms. brass or aluminum rod, but knitting needles come in all diameters. They will be threaded through the wing spars later, to prevent the two very slender wings from buckling.

You will notice that I never cut out the circles in the bulkheads - a small opening for angled tweezers is enough. Smaller formers I simply skewer on the blunt craft knife I use for scoring, and then manipulae them into the right position.

From now on, it will be a journey into the uncharted depths of space... I will keep notes for future adventurers...

In the meantime, Google Pictures came up with another treasure - a different colour scheme this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-002.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-003.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-db_030_br_cruiser_02.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Fantastic looking model! I'm watching this.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 AM

Now for the tail and engine. Without sketch or instructions it took some timew to figure out how the protruding point fitted the tail elements - but as there is generally only one way in which things will fit, I succeeded in the end.
However, this is also where I made a real mistake. As I said earlier, I never cut out the complete inside circles in formers... Later on I realised that in the case of the black inside end of the engine I should have obeyed the scissors symbol. The inner cylinder of the engine should have been slid into this opening. Also, I didn't really know where exactly to position this former, but that turned out OK. I just shortened part of the engine cylinder to solve the first problem. Maybe the engine will now protrude a bit more than required, but I foresee no other difficulties here.
The second picture shows the finished tail end. I decided not to glue it to the main body yet, because this way it would be easier to fit and insert the engine first.
The engine consists of the inner cylinder, with 20 (!) 2mm cylinders around it. This of course required endless rolling - a bit of scotch courage helped.
To avoid boredom and stiff fingers I built the top cabin visible in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-004.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-005.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-006.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-007.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

The last stage was fairly simple. First the nose, the the wings. Instead of using metal rods (the knitting needles I bought turned out not to be stiff enough to be any real use) I reinforced the very long pointed ends of the wings by gluing 1,5 mm card inside. The only somewhat difficult part of the model is the front edge of the wings. By carefully rolling and allowing the glue to dry and harden at each stage I got a very satisfactory result.

Compliments and thanks to designer Jayo Sutton for a fantastic model. I have sent him my notes, and have asked him / hope he will make the model available to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-008klein.jpg   Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-016.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Really enjoying following your threads. Takes me back to those Saturday mornings wasted (according to my parents) watching old serial reruns on tv.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM

Those who enjoyed this thread may like to know that the other fantastic model by Joe Sutton, the Cosmostrator, is now available via Ecardmodels. Especially nice if you have aluminum paper available!
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF: Buck Rogers Space Battle Cruiser, by Jayo Sutton-cosmostrator-3.jpg