PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Does anyone have any idea what I could do for windowpanes? I'd like something tinted, but it also has to be sturdy, and it needs to stay attached.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
there are black translucent plastic plates, bottles, etc. you can heat these and push mold them with a wooden or hard putty positve form. this should make the window panes you are wanting. i reccomend that you use a furnature foam pad to push into, and a heat gun from the hardware store for the heat source. if you cannot find these items. try a plastic clear plate top, push mold it over the oven -DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES IN- and then tint with a magic marker.
jim
Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
Mwahaha, I love it.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Don't forget it needs a controlpanel as well!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I bet one of those laptop security screens would work for your windows. They are inexpensive, and without a light source behind them, should be quite opaque.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjev View Post
Does anyone have any idea what I could do for windowpanes? I'd like something tinted, but it also has to be sturdy, and it needs to stay attached.

here is an old trick my dad used to do for his RC airplane cockpit windshields. it has been forever since i have seen it done so i may be wrong. just get clear plastic PVC (like from a clam shell pack, usually small electronics ie. flash drives, mp3 players, ect. come in this) and use RIT dye to tint it the longer you soak it the darker it gets. it can be a little messy so do it outside and wear rubber gloves or you will tint yourself LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Yup, use plastic sheet. If all the panels are flat, just cut to size. If you use those shears with the zig-zag teeth (can't recall the proper name for them...) for the edges - assuming there is room to do this - then your PVA glue will have more to anchor the plastic sheet to the cardboard.

If you do have to heat the plastic using a heat gun, do it outside if possible so any fumes can dissipate.

If you can cut out the sheet inserts as a single piece and fold it, again make some small perforations at the frames for better mechanical adhesion.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
My main source of plastic sheet are those big containers they put sheet cakes in at Walmart. Not only do you get a big piece of clear plastic, but a yummy treat as well.

As far as control panels go, download the Moldy Crow cockpit from Zealot (it's in the Star Wars section) or PM me with your email address. It's got about a dozen glowing Star Wars-style panels in it that would make great control panels. I would link to the site where I got the original textures (a mod site for the Jedi Knight series), but the internal site paths apparently are corrupted and I can't access the place to get them.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Don't forget it needs a controlpanel as well!
Oh yes. Still working on those. Trying to remember what the inside of the cockpit was like when I went to Virtual World aeons ago.

Best 18.00 I ever spent!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Try to look at gameplay vids of either Mechwarrior 4 or Mechwarrior 3. Those had detailed cockpits.
Google Adsense