PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thokamous View Post
awesome stuff
Thank you... I wanted to touch a little bit on income vs development costs, concerning electronics, for a minute.. You see some of these guys on the boards and on ebay selling circuits for $150, $180 and $200 per unit. Now, when I was working for a certain vendor he wanted me to develope electronics circuit to sell exclusively through him. Essentially, he wanted to get new circuits cheaper, so he could sell them cheaper than the competition and still make good money. So, I sat down and worked on five separate circuits, using essentially the same components, just with variations of flash rates and sequence etc... This is the same base circuit the DLM uses for his lighting kits and the same base components that Voodoo sells for hundreds of dollars. Here's the dirty little secret.... I got ahold of several different mfgrs and had them bidding against each other for my business. The development costs for a series run depended upon the number of parts and cost of parts per unit as well as to whether or not they had to do the Gerber art and board development. I was quoted essentially the same quote by each of the mfgrs with only minor differences. The bottom line was about $500.00 for 25 to 30 circuits on the initial run, if they had to do the development, but that dropped
to $250.00 or less, for the same number of circuits if I did the development.
I picked up the software I needed for next to nothing and commenced to work out the circuits and do the Gerber art and board developement. I had a bottom line final quote for 30 circuits for a little over $300 dollars for the first run with the price decreasing if I ordered more units per order, ie 40, 50, etc..

I'm telling you all of this because it all boils down to $15 to $20 dollars per circuit depending on the number of parts and the complexity of the design.

This is why I'll be working on electronics for the next week. I'm going to show this and prove my point. I'll be able to sell completed plug and play circuits for $50 each and still make money, cover my costs and make a lot of people very happy. This is another reason why the Clown Posse' don't care for me much. LOL!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Keep on trekkin, Neptune!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinKC46 View Post
Keep on trekkin, Neptune!
I will, I most certainly will. Revenge is a dish best served with laughter!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.08 GB
Hey Neptune,

Thanks for all the new updates, the electronic circuits sounds very promising especially for those of us who would like to add lights to our builds and have no talent for doing so.

I go to your blogs regularly and sometimes find things there before you post them here. So I don't take offense to anything you say, I completely agree with how you feel and enjoy your talent and willingness to share your work.

I started to build the Obelisk you have on your blog and ran into a couple of issues. Gonna PM you a couple of questions, no rush on an answer just whenever you get the time.

Regards,

Rick

Share and enjoy...Sirius Cybernetic
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick65 View Post
Hey Neptune,

Thanks for all the new updates, the electronic circuits sounds very promising especially for those of us who would like to add lights to our builds and have no talent for doing so.

I go to your blogs regularly and sometimes find things there before you post them here. So I don't take offense to anything you say, I completely agree with how you feel and enjoy your talent and willingness to share your work.

I started to build the Obelisk you have on your blog and ran into a couple of issues. Gonna PM you a couple of questions, no rush on an answer just whenever you get the time.

Regards,

Rick
No problem, I've built that model three times and gave everyone of them away. I'm going to build the Mars version next. Did you see the movie I made about building that?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.08 GB
Missed the movie, can you send me a link or tell me where I can find it. That way I can see where I messed up. Thanks.

Share and enjoy...Sirius Cybernetic
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Banned

MTK's Card Craft: TOS Era Turbolift

Obelisk movie....
Obelisk Movie Final.wmv - YouTube

I'm checking the PM and will answer your questions toot-sweet.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned

Electronics 101

Below you will find the new Electronics thread and in that thread is a link to a downloadable movie. It's worth checking out.

KirkTrekModeler's Model Blog: Electronics
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Updated the Electronics thread over at my blog, will be updating more....

KirkTrekModeler's Model Blog: Electronics
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Here's a little something I've been playing with.... I'll probably make several of them for TOS and will make a few for TNG etc and may even make some WH40K and fallout and so on. The back of this has a decidedly 3D effect to it.
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-_toslunchbox-1.jpg   TOS Trek Files-_toslunchbox-2.jpg   TOS Trek Files-_toslunchbox-3.jpg   TOS Trek Files-_toslunchbox-4.jpg