PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Preserver Obelisk Build and Directions Photos

I took a little time away from creating models and decided to print and build one to create the directions for the Preserver Obelisk.

1). You've got to have the proper tools and a clean work area, so I pulled together the tools I needed and layed everything out on the kitchen table.

2). Lay out your model and inspect all of your sheets. I had this model laser printed on 110lb cardstock with a gloss finish. The gloss finish and high quality printing makes for easier clean-up if you have a glue smear, or some such.

3). I like to precut the parts and plan out my approach for creasing and cutting.

4). I use a cork-backed, steel, drafting rule and a ballpoint pen to to give good creases. I attack it from behind, for the most part, to keep the in from the printed area.

5). Plan out your creases and use the rule to follow along your fold lines.

6). Turn the part over and Wala, perfectly creased part with no evidence of the ink.

7). Cut, crease and fold all of your parts and build in sections.

8). Glue one tab at a time and make sure you align each tab before placement.

9). For the stairs, I cut tabs on each of the stair lines to create tabs to align with the rule, to crease the part on the back for each fold line. I used a pencil to highlight one crease on the back. I used a different tool with a blunt edge to create the creases....
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-obelisk-1.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-2.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-3.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-4.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-5.jpg  

TOS Trek Files-obelisk-6.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-7.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-7a.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-8.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-9.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Banned

Preserver Obelisk Build Continued.....

.... after you've folded all of the mountain and valley folds, you see you have a nice set of stairs. I'll build a pocket for this later. I used a pencil tocolor in the white areas of the stairs because it didn't make sense to me to not have a texture on the top of the stairs. I may go back and add some sort of texture to this area and I may color this part of the model in later....

10). Again I started the next section by precutting and folding the parts before the next stage off assembly.

11). Align and glue one tab at a time....

12). By referring back to the PDO, you can ensure that you are putting the separate parts in the right place, more on this later.

13). Glue each part of the upper portion of the main assembly to the lower part of the obelisk one at a time and allow the glue to set.

14). I started the base of the model the same way, precut, plot your crease lines, make mountain and valley folds, glue one tab at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-obelisk-10.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-11.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-12.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-13.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-14.jpg  

TOS Trek Files-obelisk-15.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-16.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-17.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-18.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-19.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Banned

While I work on the model and directions a bit more, I thought that I would refer to this movie I made concerning the comments about about building a diorama.

Diorama.wmv - YouTube
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
you did a great job on that man......
jim
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Preserver Obelisk Build.....

I started working on the base and I came to an issue that was easy to fix, for me, but thought that it might not be as simple for others, so I'm going to do a bit of a walkthrough.

1). The alcove that is dry fit, obviously will not accomodate the stairs as they are a bit longer. So, you can either build it with the platform moved to one side as in after Kirk fell down the stairs after accidentally activating the device abd build a box showing the stairs going down into the bowls of the machine, or you can accomdate the stairs two different ways, either by plotting the correction and cutting the stairs down, or by placing the stairs in first, then placing your last parts of the base, or do the same and cut the alcove to make the sidewalls for the stairs.

Note: I did notice that during the build process, I had left out some fiddly bits for the top of the obelisk. I will add those in the final draft and I will play with the textures some more.

I did want to show the obelisk alone and show the height as well as the detail when seen up close, The final texture will look closer to the actual model seen in the screencapture.
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-obelisk-23.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-24.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-25.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-26.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-27.jpg  

TOS Trek Files-obelisk-28.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
you did a great job on that man......
jim

Thank you Sir, I'm not quite done yet.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Below you can see the three parts that will be added to the final model as well as some different textures. I worked on the stairs and got that worked out just fine, I've also resized the model yet again and will probably do an even larger build. I may make one in styrene and show that as well.

I wanted to make a custom obelisk, thining that there have to be different versions on other planets, from different times through the history of the Preservers, or Fabrini, or whatever race they turn out to be that seeded all
of the different planets, so I used a metal texture for the obelisk itself, a different metal for the platforms and a space texture that resembles marble and, or granite.
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-screenhunter_02-jan.-21-07.55.jpg   TOS Trek Files-screenhunter_01-jan.-21-17.47.jpg   TOS Trek Files-screenhunter_02-jan.-21-17.48.jpg   TOS Trek Files-metal.jpg   TOS Trek Files-milky-way_nebula.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Banned

I've had some people say that they couldn't build my models, at the point I have to wonder about the builder. Below you can see that the fix for the apparently "Bad Model" was so easy that a third grade girl could figure it out.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

I've had some people say that they couldn't build my models, at the point I have to wonder about the builder. Below you can see that the fix for the apparently "Bad Model" was so easy that a third grade girl could figure it out.

Below you can see that I built the stairs with the box and wrapped the corners over, this is all dry-fit, but really was it that hard. I say no.
Attached Thumbnails
TOS Trek Files-obelisk-29.jpg   TOS Trek Files-obelisk-30.jpg   TOS Trek Files-screenhunter_03-jan.-21-21.46.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

The build is done and I'll be uploading three larger versions, all with different textures next, then I'll be finishing the Dreadnaught. Keep on Trekkin! =/\=
Google Adsense