PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Zousho' Sabre / Saber class build report

The next model I've tried after finishing the Defiant is one of the "background" designs from the Star Trek universe, the Sabre or Saber class (the spelling is unclear) which can be seen for the first an only time in the movie "First Contact" fighting against the Borg.

For the first time in Star Trek history most of the ships did not exist as physical studio models but only as CGIs. One of those ships was the Sabre class U.S.S. Yeager:

The size of the Saber Class is unclear. The pictures and three-views show clearly that the ship's length and widht are almost identical, but the official specifications give a lenth of 365 m and a width of 226 m which is definitely wrong. "Coincidental" the dimensions are the same as for the Norway Class...

As always, I'm referring to Bernd Schneider's Ex-Astris-Scientia website which shows an almost scientific view on Star Trek "technology". He presumes a lenth of 172 m. This results a model lenght of 10,1 cm at a scale of 1:1700.

NOTE: I've build it some years ago. In the meantime a new size chart has been published by Industrial Light And Magic. That's why the presumed size has been changed to 223 m.

Name and registry of the only known ship of this class are U.S.S. Yeager, NCC-61947. The model wasn't lettered and I've chosen this canon ship name.

The Kit consists of 43 parts and has no instructions. Some of the parts have to be used for layering. Like with the other models by Zousho there are just a few glue tabs. Sometimes this makes sense, but in many cases I felt necessary to add some. I used 160g/sqm cardboard.

You can download the model at Zousho's Home Page.

1. Building the saucer section

These are the parts A1 to A5 for the top half of the saucer section. A1 was layered with C1, A5 with C2 and C3. I recommend to color the edges with a grey felt tip pen:

The assembled parts A1 to A4 before and after glueing to A5:

A special challenge for my fingers which went somewhat thicker during the last 20 years (together with the rest of my body :D) was the small fold which can be seen at the bottom of the assembly.
Because of that, this work was accompanied by excessive cursing until my wife advised me of the fact that our children entered the room. They were very surprised at the many different words that can be used for human excrements...

Those who want to build this ship, especially those with children , should use a sharp knife for scoring this fold. And I mean sharp!!!:D

Below you see the parts for the saucer's bottom and the finished top turned upside down. There are no glue tabs on these parts so I've added them while cutting out.

A8 was layered with C4, A9 with C5. After that I've colored the edges and have glued A9 to A8:

The same parts, glued together and to the bottom's top:

Last edited by panzer; 07-03-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 PM

2. Bridge an Engineering hull:

These parts are for bridge and engineering section. From now on, the parts aren't numbered with the exception of the layers.

Again there are some parts without glue tabs so I've left some while cutting out. Otherwise I have no idea how the parts should be sticked together.

I've added an additional layer of cardstock to the two bridge parts to make them more spatial.

The upper and lower half of the assembly. There is a sketch on the model sheet which will help while assembling.

And both halfs glued to each other:

Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM

3. Joining saucer and hull

Now you should try without glue how the two finished assemblies fit together. I haven't thought this would work but after a few tries I knew how to do.

Again, I've left glue tabs at the connections between saucer and the rest (see my previous posting) but they are not mandatory. With glue tabs the parts must be fixed matching at first try because any correction causes glue stains, without them you have to fix the parts quite a long time until the glue is dry.

If everything fits, the result should be something like that:

I've colored the back of the part which must be glued to the stern end (with the registry on it) with grey felt tip pen. Otherwise the white surface will be visible from some angles.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:04 PM

4. Warp nacelles

This is how I've assembled the Warp engines. These are the parts for the right nacelle, only the part on the left is already assembled because I forgot to take a photo before...

The part with the brown "triangle" must be wrapped around the part which can be seen lying above it. It must be assembled in a way that it will match to the edge of the saucer. While making it, you'll know what I mean:

The finished left nacelle. Th small red part (it's called "Bussard Collector" in Trek terminology) was really a test of nerves for me. As I was assembling it my children fortunately were already sleeping. You know, all those different words for human excrements... :o :D

The second nacelle has been build in the same way. Now the finished nacelles and the impulse drives had to be glued to the hull.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 PM

5. The finished starship

The two models from this designer I've built so far were really fun. They are very elaborated and fitting accuracy is just great. So there is no danger of any disappointment.

6. Display stand

I've also made a display stand again which you find attached as pdf and linked as jpg. Printed at 90% it will fit for the original model as well.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ay-Stand-1.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ay-Stand-2.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yeager-Display-Stand.pdf (128.7 KB, 27 views)
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 693.05 MB
I would like to build this model, but it seem that insīt available in Zoushosīs web site, somebody knows how or where I can find it?, Iīve sent some Emails, but never reply
Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
How did you add the registry markings? I've never figured out how to add them and make then look right.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.92 MB
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This type of build report is OUTSTANDING for "newbies" like me. The instructions are clear and to the point. The photos are amazing and match the build instructions. These type of "build reports" give me the confidence to try this old yet still unexplored resource for model building!

You are a king among men, Sir!

Steve Arlo - "Zero Effect" - 1998
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 820.35 MB
Nice, very detailed instructions, a question, in Zousho page no download link, another site I can download?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Пожалуйста подскажите где можно скачать модели Сабля класс и Туманность класс.

Using Google translate for the translation : Please tell me where to download Saber class model and Nebula class.

Last edited by rickstef; 08-11-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Google Adsense