PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
Great initative. If you need more info on it try researching aircraft movers. Aliens was filmed in England, they used an aircraft mover for the transport. In the movie they show the troops climing in and out of it but in actuality the door on the side opens to a very small compartment, the sene in the movie suposedly filmed inside the transporter was a mock-up made for the movie.

They filmed the movie inside an old warehouse with a basement,it represented the atmospheric reactor, the transporter was so heavy it buckled the floors so they had to beef-up the joist to handle it.
...yes i try to find an excuse for the plenty of space in my model, almost no space for equipment left, just the engine compartment in the rear...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Great link bud, there's alot of launch footage there I've never seen.

Danke
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Hi everyone, I´m working on the wheels now and that can take a LOT of time.... want to have wheels first, before I make the tinier things... here´s the concept for the wheel I´m trying to make... want to make them turn in the end, if it works fine, hopefully it will...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-22-2011, 03:47 PM

If you do some searching around all the paper model sites you may find an already designed model with parts you could integreat to fit this model, enlarge, shrink, or use as a patern. I don't do any designing but am great at using parts from other mods to achieve the desired effect or goal.

As a matter of fact I was thinking about the model of the tumbler from the Bat Man movies, I think you can find it on Paper-replikas.com, the wheels on it may be of some use.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
Great start! I like Alien series too and I like the APC more then the drop ship. But one thing about the APC in the movie is that the APC is not off road worthy at all. Not a effective piece of equipment once it get off the asphalt, it just turn into a deathtrap. I would address that short coming if I would build one, if I ever get to it.
A lift kit and some monster truck tires?

If you made it the right size, Lego makes some great large rubber tires that would work (if you wanted to abandon the paper aspect). Best part is, you can go to Lego.com and order just the tires.
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
If you do some searching around all the paper model sites you may find an already designed model with parts you could integreat to fit this model, enlarge, shrink, or use as a patern. I don't do any designing but am great at using parts from other mods to achieve the desired effect or goal.

As a matter of fact I was thinking about the model of the tumbler from the Bat Man movies, I think you can find it on Paper-replikas.com, the wheels on it may be of some use.
Thank you, but these tires wouldn´t work with my model like I want them to do... I need them to be very tiny to fit in the "wheel-bays" of my APC and yet be functional...
Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Hi everyone!
I´ve been working on the wheel design of my APC lately and have now built a first "prototype"... look for yourself... and tell me what you think!

...I know, it doesn´t look pretty, but that wasn´t the point of making it... yet
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
Great start! I like Alien series too and I like the APC more then the drop ship. But one thing about the APC in the movie is that the APC is not off road worthy at all. Not a effective piece of equipment once it get off the asphalt, it just turn into a deathtrap. I would address that short coming if I would build one, if I ever get to it.
Depends what it was designed for e.g. more as an urban 'police action' vehicle than an all-out combat vehicle...you'd like to think that a ship the size of the Sulaco would carry a TB-2 like range of capability options that could be deployed via dropship and in the case of the movie scenario, the wheeled APC was the best tool for the job. Let's not forget that it was pretty capable against the acid-blooded xenophobes and was undone a a force far greater - that of a woman driver!!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Hi everyone, I´ve started this thread some time ago, but didn´t work on it for a long time. Now, after seeing my favourite movie again some time ago I´ve got new motivation on building this...
- and to share with everyone who is interested
As I have moved meanwhile I had to start all over again, exept for the drawings, and, not having a personal scanner and printer anymore, I´ll have to do everything by hand, which is actually not too bad...
So in terms of real progress I´m on the same stage as then, but with much clearer ideas of how I´ll build it.

Last edited by Vorcha; 05-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 AM

...added some interior...

I will focus mainly on the interior on this model, want to have everything down to the smallest detail... doesnt look pretty yet, after i´m doing everything from scratch and without much planning.

The idea behind this is, that the original APC didn´t quite look like an "operational" military vehicle, it has too many inconsistancies, so to say, for example:

-The two-axis-configuration with a huge space between the axels, this would be not very useful when driving through rugh terrain :(
-The limited space. It always seemed to me, that the wheels are unneccesary huge, unlikely to be a feature of an actual military vehicle, build for efficiency...
-The windshield: It does look cool, but it is useless and dangerous for the driver

actually I found this piece from the original script of "Aliens" in the net, showing, that with a bigger budget the APC might have looked quite different:

So my "theory" for my model goes like this:
The propulsion is done with electric engines, placed inside the wheels. The power supply is granted by at least 3 big battery-packs inside the vehicle, giving it a range of at least 500 kilometers, one of these battery packs i already added to it. The rear and front compartments bear each one an additional battery pack... this way there is much space available for combat use, there should be space for at least 16 marines inside^^