PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
DC, I do have copies of all of Rick Sternbach's concept drawings for the runabout, and the center module will be a separate part when I'm done, but I'm not necessarily planning to add any extra details so that the model can be built without it. In all of my reference pics, there's nothing that shows a definitive view of the exposed areas if the cargo module is removed. I asked Mr. Sternbach about this on another model I was working on and he said he never worked at that level of detail unless it was something that the producers had approved that would specifically be seen and used on-screen.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Center section is done, except for the flat top panel. I added a box structure to the panel on the bottom, just to add some interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-img_5375a.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-img_5376a.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Nice and clean.

Keep it up.

Niki
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM

More work done, so time for more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0444.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0479.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0440.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0482.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0487.jpg  

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Looking good, we definitely need some more large-scale Star Trek models.

Niki
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
FANTASTIC!!!!! U am impressed!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

More progress pics. This time, the trailing edge of the wing.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0492.jpg   Updating Ninjatoes' Danube-Class Runabout-imag0493.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Impressive...

This truly exceeds anything I would have expected. The surface detail and three dimensional greeble effort is unspeakably inspiring. I love the module aspect of your rebuild, supporting the efforts of anyone wanting to further modify your efforts to demonstrate the modular aspects of this well conceived design. I think that the center module might be possibly modified for someone wanting to reflect the mission modules.

You are not just making an amazing model, your inspiring others how to represent your work in new creative ways. That's a great way to promote the art, developing a base so flexible as to promote further creativity. I am excited about this new effort and it has caused me to start thinking about not only building it but the different ways it could be modified or represented.

In short, it is inspiring on several levels.

One more note, your detail on the ventral section isdemanding the question, 'is that really paper?'

My respect and anticipation of this work,

The DC
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks, DC. The detail on the ventral section wasn't really difficult to achieve. I started with the base color of FS33531 Sand and then added two shades darker and one shade lighter of the same hue. For the center section, I wanted to accentuate the depth of the rounded part, so I darkened the detail lines and made them closer together as I worked toward the edges, so that it would look like it was getting shadowed.

I used a similar shading effect on the greebles over the aft windows in bits that were too small to make them practical to cut out, but the complete detail adds four layers to the surface, so you can feel the raised bits, as well. The greebling on the bottom of the aft cabin was really more of a practical consideration to keep the large flat panel from oil-canning.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results, so far, considering I'm doing the design work with nothing but MS Paint and a scientific calculator.

All that said, the model I've been photographing for this project isn't likely to get any new bits from here on. The work on the wings/engine pylons required some lengthening of the aft cabin and center module, so I'll be rebuilding a new model to the point where this one is, and continuing from there. I may finish it later, and just modify the new parts to fit it, as I did with the prototype build for my Chaffee model, but for now, who knows?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 AM

One thing I never liked about the runabout, it has a weak stern, it just doesn't suit the rest of the design.

But saying that, keep the redesign/rework coming.

Niki
Google Adsense