PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-16-2011, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Right, test building has thrown up some issues.

I've constructed one of the central legs which went reasonably well, but, as with the Locust, I think some parts will work better as card and others as paper.

The Main body, however is a different matter. I think I over-egged the two main sections, creating a closed hull that another layer sits over, allowing me to add those lovely fin-like edges. All of this makes for compound errors though, that throw the angles out. It is, I think, a mistake to design parts that are intended to dove-tail because you can't account for paper/card thickness used by the end user.
Add to this that I broke the whole thing into three sections: front, mid and rear. In retrospect, that's just asking for trouble, like stacking three equally sized Lego bricks on top of each other.
I'm re-designing it now so that there is a single, long box that runs underneath for strength and straightness. The three sections will then sit on top. I've redone the front and rear sections so that they are no longer a closed hull but a bottom piece with a top piece that sits, umbrella-like over it.

I'll test-build it over the weekend and see how it works.
I'm also, hopefully going to test-build the fiddly gun pieces :/

Crow
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Well, the test build of the new body design went quite well, so I'll go with it.
So that's the main leg and the body ticked off.

Now for the smaller leg(s) and the cannon - oh, and those gun balls. :/

Crow
Old 12-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Can't wait, are you going to post pictures of it?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM

I'd love to but my camera is pants! I will try and get a photo at some point, somehow.

Crow
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Bingo, bango, bongo! Webcam!

Not perfect but you get the idea.

Here's the Main leg prototype, a first pass at the hull in paper (including the cabin and gun turret) before I redesigned it and then the new, redesigned hull prototype in card.

Crow

Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM

This is proving interesting. I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the centre section.

Watching through season 2 of Clone Wars again, there's some excellent shots of the various sections of the ATTE - particularly in 'Landing at Point Rain', 'Cargo of Doom' and 'the Deserter'. What's foxing me though is the segmented centre section and I really can't get a clear view of it. On top, it appears to be as wide as the flat section of the front and rear shells. However underneath, it appears to be no wider than the cabin. The obvious conclusion is that it tapers inwards, but I can't get a clear shot to verify it.

Oh, and it also has six toes on each foot, not four.

Last edited by Scarecrovv; 12-17-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Well, the corner leg proto build was a success.

Now I need to add the other toes and figure out what's going on with that waist section. Sigh.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM

I think I've figured out the central section thing.
After much poring over screengrabs and flicking back and forth and compositing in Photoshop and drawing lines over everything, I'm pretty sure that the central section that the central legs attach to is no wider than the cabin. I'm pretty sure that the ridged section on top that connects the front and rear sections overhangs the centre. I've tested this theory with a number of screengrabs and, whilst I still can't see it for certain, it makes a lot of sense.

Time to crack open Maya again!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
dont know why i thought about this earlier. You could check Google Sketchup warehouse. There are many Star Wars models there. I recall seeing a few of these there. Perhaps you can find your answer there. I know some of the models are from star wars games. Maybe it helps taking a peek.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
From some of the pics on SW.com episode guides, and some other pics I have found on the net, another answer to the center section shape is that it is the same width on top, angles the same on the sides til the middle, then is flat across the bottom except the middle of the bottom area where it is shaped like a narrow box same size as the cabin.
And yes Google sketchup warehouse has a number of AT-TE models to look over.
I have a partial model that might be of help to you, it has all of the main body, one main leg, and the center section looks easy. If you PM me your Email addy I can send you the model File, It was from a free site and is not a pirated model.
Jeff
Google Adsense