PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.3 KB
2001 Discovery

From Uhu02

This is where I stand with it.

The center spine wasn't hard, just boring.

The communications array I'm not to happy with. I may redo it with thinner paper.

The engine

With so little paper to work with around the glue tabs on this part. I attached the front collar first, before cutting the white space around it.

I'll post more pics as I progress.
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Off to a great start - others building this have mentioned using a dowel to stiffen that long spine. Very clean and precise work.

Yogi (I'm with you on making multiple identical parts - first one is a fun puzzle, second gives satisfaction as you apply what was learned on the first one, then it slows down ...)
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Great work so far. The spine is definitely the most tedious to get through. The rest of the model doesn't involve a lot of repetitive parts, so you've got most of the "hard" part out of the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Here are some more pictures

The reactor module.

The collar for the crew module.

I remade the crew module, didn't like the first one.

It wasn't easy keeping things lined up fron one end to the other across the curve of the sphere.

I applied the window frame first before intalling the window. It fit better than the first one I built.

So here is the completed model. I hope the pictures prove useful to anyone thinking of trying this model.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 GB
Well done sir!

Not many complete this model. A very tidy build.
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It's NUTS......All NUTS !!!!!

Ive just started mine.......
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Wow. Another long dead, resurrected thread...... This is the same thing that was happening at the other place... Can't wait to see your work. LOL!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Discovery Build.

I first saw 2001 ASO when I was 9 yrs old. It made a very big impression on me, (and still does,) and was pivotal in the decisions I made later in life about my career and personal interests.

Out of all SciFi films I've seen, the 'hardware' in 2001, is for me the most realistic.
The Discovery was, and still is, my MOST favourite SciFi spacecraft.

I have always wanted a model of her, but have never really found one that satisfied my yearning! Or, prices were not in my budget......!!
So, after a bit of searching and detective work, I found the card version from UHU02. (And NO, I am NOT telling how I got it! (at the request of the designer))

The size of this model and the detail is spot-on for me. And, without the need for the airbrush, that keeps the missus happy, because there are no paint fumes in the home.....

Anyway, I digress.... I will upload a few photos at some point to show progress .... Stay tuned!!

(And, YES, I promise, I will finish it..... )

Latersssss.!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokawe View Post
Out of all SciFi films I've seen, the 'hardware' in 2001, is for me the most realistic.
Just out of curiosity, have you seen Moon? There is some great hardware in that movie that was designed with the help of NASA. In fact, I believe either NASA or the JPL showed this movie as an actual demonstration of what harvesting He3 would really look like and how it would work.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Hadn't thought of this one in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokawe View Post
I first saw 2001 ASO when I was 9 yrs old. It made a very big impression on me, (and still does,) and was pivotal in the decisions I made later in life about my career and personal interests.

The Discovery was, and still is, my MOST favourite SciFi spacecraft.

I have always wanted a model of her, but have never really found one that satisfied my yearning! Or, prices were not in my budget......!!
So, after a bit of searching and detective work, I found the card version from UHU02. (And NO, I am NOT telling how I got it! (at the request of the designer))

The size of this model and the detail is spot-on for me. And, without the need for the airbrush, that keeps the missus happy, because there are no paint fumes in the home.....

Anyway, I digress.... I will upload a few photos at some point to show progress .... Stay tuned!!

(And, YES, I promise, I will finish it..... )

Latersssss.!
I look forward to seeing your photos. It's just one of those models I had to have.
Google Adsense