PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions

Here is the begining of the build and directions. There is more to come, so give me a chance to finish up before you judge the entire thing.

The first five show the pdo screens identifying each part. The finalt instructions will show every piece as well as the mesh and skin etc.

The second five show the first stages of the actual build.

1) Inspect your .pdo file, or .pdf file before printing. Familiarize yourself with all of the parts and try to puzzle out how these parts might mate and match up with each other. Use the red line to trace the assembly from one part to the next.

2) Ensure that you are going to print the model to the right sized paper, or cardstock. A3- to A-3 and so on.

3) Print a test page if possible to ensure that your print setting match what you see on the screen and make required adjustments if neccesary.

4) Print your model and inspect the printing to see if you are happy with the outcome. Reprint and page that may have
a poor, or distorted part, or image......

5) Lay your parts out in a logical build order.

I often make a preliminary sut, to make it easier to get into tight places and not have half of a sheet of cardstock flopping around.

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-screenhunter_01-may.-01-08.02.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-screenhunter_02-may.-01-08.02.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-screenhunter_03-may.-01-08.02.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-screenhunter_04-may.-01-08.03.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-screenhunter_05-may.-01-08.03.jpg  

Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-1.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-2.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-3.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-4.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-5.jpg  

Last edited by Neptune; 05-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

More build photos..... This was the orignal 37 megabyte file, printed on a high res, laser printer, on gloss, 11X17 cardstock. Below I show how to align the parts and glue the tabs. However, I've taken it upon myself to make a change and attach each part with strips, to get rid of open lines that appear when glueing tabs.

6) Use the appropriate colored marker to mark the lines where the parts mate, to get rid on any white lines.

7) Glue one part at a time and allow each glued section to dry before moving on to the next tab, or strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-6.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-7.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-8.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-9.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-10.jpg  

Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-11.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-12.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-13.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-14.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-15.jpg  

Last edited by Neptune; 05-01-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Wow!! these are perfect for directions. They are also don't need any translation to other languages...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
Wow!! these are perfect for directions. They are also don't need any translation to other languages...
Thank you john, though I would have liked a few of the pictures to have been a bit more crisp. I do need to go through and edit a few things before I put out the final directions. I'm current on focusing on the hull inserts / formers that we discussed, but since the top part is going to be the nose cone for the rocket, I figured on do that part the way I did to show some alternate wasy of doing things in just a few pictures. I should finish up the fuselage tomorrow and have the directions done after that. Then I'll send everything to you and post a link to the movie.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Banned

More directions and instructions.....

Below you can see that I'm tracing around the outside diameter of the nose cone to get an outline of the outer diameter. I'm doing it this way since America is 25th in placement of mathematics and I don't want to bog the thread down with formulas and a discussion of diameter, area, volume, etc...
Anyway, this is a down and dirty way of creating your own formers, or supports, whatever you want to call them.... Bulkheads would be the appropriate term in this case. I don't have the diameter of the engine I'm going to using to launch this yet, so I'm just going to focus on a standard former.

Formers;

Lightly trace around the outside diameter of the part and realize that this is slightly larger than the total OD. Cut the part out and trim to inside of the line that you drew. Use a steel ruler, or machinists scale to get that measurement. Check against your part and continue to carefully trim down the part until it fits just inside the part. Note: The bottom former for the lower part of the nose cone will be very close to the same size as the top part of the fuselage.

Fins; The get a good clean line and not mark up the part use a ball point pen with a good tip to poke dots at the point where you want your crease line. This will come through to the other side without penetrating the cardstock and can be used to make and crease your line. Flip the part over and you will feel little dimples like brail. Color thesee lines with your pen and use your steel rule to crease your part. The ball point pen gives you a smooth running surface to crease the part without damaging it. I'll show the rest of this in a later post.

Note: You can also use the textures to align the parts, if you vut off the tabs and decide to use strips.

Note: The more strips you use and the more strips you lay over each other in layers, the stronger the ship with be. this is called "Lamination."

OK, Boys and Girls, I need to take a break from this, but I want to leave you with this. Since there are only fifteen parts to this ship and it is a relatively simple model and since most of this is obvious to me I want to share this with some of the more novice builders. ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4trZO5WP9o
Attached Thumbnails
Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-16.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-17.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-18.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-19.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-20.jpg  

Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-21.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-22.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-23.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
that works just fine for formers. Explaining it that way ~should~ be fine. A lot of my early models I never included formers thinking any builder would just do it. That is a big mistake though for beginner modellers. They need everything spelled out.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
that works just fine for formers. Explaining it that way ~should~ be fine. A lot of my early models I never included formers thinking any builder would just do it. That is a big mistake though for beginner modellers. They need everything spelled out.
OK. Well... I'll get more into it in subsequent posts. I'm trying to be as efficient with my time and posts as well photos and explanations as possible.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
that looks great!
i was just thinking how many toys have been lost over time, and how they could all be replaced with paper models, much as these tin rockets are.
its a great endeavour.
and thank you,
jim
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
that looks great!
i was just thinking how many toys have been lost over time, and how they could all be replaced with paper models, much as these tin rockets are.
its a great endeavour.
and thank you,
jim
No problem, happy to do it.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

Here are some more build photos, I've covered most of this, so there will no narrative.... I'm open to questions if there in something that isn't obvious to you... Note: Pre-Stressing your parts, before assembly makes them easier to assemble when the time comes. As you can see, I followed on with using a pen to make dots and creasing with a ballpoint pen before flipping over and making the folds, I also used the cheap marker to get rid of the white lines.
More on bulkheads next.
Attached Thumbnails
Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-24.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-25.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-26.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-27.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-28.jpg  

Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-29.jpg   Tin Toy Rocket Toy Build and Directions-tin-toy-actual-30.jpg  
Google Adsense