PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
Doc Savage Rapid Firer?

Any Doc Savage fans here? Is there a paper model of the desert eagle automatic and the round magazine for the tommygun available? The combination of the two would be a great kitbash to make Doc Savage's rapid firer gun from the pulp novels. I've looked several times for drawings of the rapid firer but have only found one so far on an old Doc Savage cover from the 1930s. I've started collecting the new reprints in magazine size. Maybe I'll find a better drawing of it. The new books reprint the original covers and black and white illustrations.

Clif
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm a big Doc Savage fan. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear List Folks:
I must be using the wrong search eng. I can't find a picture of the gun what does it look like?
Thanks,
MILES
I used to read the books No Picts
Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
resin figure..

Another fan of the Doc.. received this as a gift...

Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM

I don't know that you'll be able to find a drawing of the gun that is all that accurate, even if you go back to the original pulp magazines. It seems that every artist drew it the way they imagined it to look with many completely ignoring the description in the text.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
A Google search uncovered this blueprint: Doc Savage Super-Machine Pistol by Steranko! on Twitpic
Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinKC46 View Post
A Google search uncovered this blueprint: Doc Savage Super-Machine Pistol by Steranko! on Twitpic
Wow, great link. That's pretty close to what I have envisioned when reading the books. I've noticed many book covers over the years that show Doc holding something that looks much more like a 30's - 40's era raygun...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Thats a great blueprint. I've searched several times and have never seen that illustration. The books give a basic description of an oversized automatic with a circular or round drum. I seem to remember someone here or at Zealot making a circular drum for a thompson machinegun. but I think it was scratchbuilt and not a downloadable kit. I thought about using the Ebony and Ivory automatic model with a repaint to a bonze metal and adding the drum. I really like the blueprint drawing but I think its beyond my scratchbuilding skills. I found a "raygun" design on the web for free that looks a lot like the cover illustrations but its just white, no textures. I always remember the "rapidfirer" more from the books.

Clif
Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM

I'm still looking. Has anyone found a round drum for the Thompson Machinegun thats is a free download. I would consider buying a model too, if I could find one. Do you guys think the rapidfirer would look better in gunmetal finish for bronze. It is for the Man of Bronze.

Thanks
Clif
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'd say that an M1896 Mauser would be a better start point, one with the snail drum magazine although that would need to be turned 90 degrees to face like one in the link. Also a 50 round Thompson magazine would be way to big in the same scale as the pistol and would need to be reduced by about 2/3...looks like the rounds are closer to 7.65 than anything meaty like 45ACP....
Google Adsense