PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
So...how about "retro" versions of the other Star Fleet Technical Manual" ships, such as Destroyer, Freighter, and Dreadnought classes? The destroyer could mostly be "kitbashed"! And further on this theme, if the "Original Series" Enterprise was Fifties-style, I suppose the "Enterprise" Enterprise (if you see what I mean!) should be 40s/50s style!
Grif
Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
yes!
post pics saved in paint as gif files here!
fins, lenses , what you think retro means to you and i will do one right away, specify what kind and colors you want!
jim
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
So...how about "retro" versions of the other Star Fleet Technical Manual" ships, such as Destroyer, Freighter, and Dreadnought classes? The destroyer could mostly be "kitbashed"! And further on this theme, if the "Original Series" Enterprise was Fifties-style, I suppose the "Enterprise" Enterprise (if you see what I mean!) should be 40s/50s style!
Grif
Awesome, brilliant idea, show me what you got. Can you actually model, or are you just positing theorems? Just curious?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

hey neppy!
where have you been?
how is everthing?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Awesome, brilliant idea, show me what you got. Can you actually model, or are you just positing theorems? Just curious?
No, I can't actually model. My computer skills are pitiful, and I don't have the hardware anyway! I'm just coming up with an idea - shameful of me to expect others to do the work! I'll post a link, if I can find one, to the ships that Franz Joseph designed for the Manual, and which were picked up for the "Star Fleet Battle Manual" and "Star Fleet Battles" games - I'm a bit pushed for time right now. The Destroyer, for example, was a saucer with a single warp nacelle where the secondary hull was on the Enterprise.
Grif
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 AM

OK, take a look at this site:

Ex Astris Scientia - Spotting the Ships from the Star Fleet Technical Manual

Now, as for the 1940s Enterprise, I don't know...lots of rivets, perhaps, or would that be too 1930s? A forward "greenhouse" nose for the bridge, as per 1940s bombers?
Grif
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Banned

i think i could whip one out.
what colors?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
what colors?
Hmmm, darned if I know! What would give the impression of a predescessor of the 50s Enterprise? Anyone got any thoughts on this? The "Dan Dare" comic strip, although published in the 50s, had a "WWII bomber" look to a lot of its spaceships, but they usually were in bright primary colours, like red and yellow. For the WWII look, olive drab would look a bit...well...drab! A lot of American bombers from that era, ie, the "Superfortress", were in natural metal - what does everyone think?
Grif
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

how about this.........
metallic paint,
canopy nose,
dish halves
on each side,
maybe a duel nose , like the black widow bomber, with twin deflector dishes where the stabilizers are the bwb.
and then a nacelle on the bottom?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Sounds good! There's a fine line between "If 'Subject X' had been envisioned in that decade" and "Parody of 'Subject X' with elements from that decade", if you see what I mean. A "twin bits on each side" look would certainly give us the "flat" sort of look of the NX-01 Enterprise...I'm not making much sense here, am I? If you've ever seen the RPG "Rocketship Empires", you'll know what I mean - 1940s space flight with actual aircraft and ocean ships from the period with rocket engines on them, which I think is the look to be avoided because it wouldn't have happened that way! Gosh, I hope I'm not being too picky here! :-)
Grif
Google Adsense