PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Sorry for the direct links, but as the page itself has the files linked improperly I couldn't think of any other way to guide interested parties to the right files. I also believe Neptune is correct with regard to designer Makino. I seem to remember he had issues some years back with his models being sold on Ebay.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
What designer hasn't? The more relevant question is how we as designers respond.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMORMAN View Post
What designer hasn't? The more relevant question is how we as designers respond.
True, you either keep doing it and ignore the jerks, or you give up and just make things for yourself.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
I do what I do as a designer because I like doing it, not for attention. I figure that I want a particular model and I want it my way, which in my not so humble opinion is better than the models offered by AMT and MPC over the years. My standards of quality are high for my own work, and if people want a copy of it then I'm only too happy to provide it. I do appreciate thanks, but it's not really necessary.

Also, it's impossible for Lucasfilm to issue a C&D for paper models. As long as the artwork is free, then it falls under fair use. Only resin kits sold for profit would merit a C&D.

Shunichi is entitled to do what he wants with his work. I have no problem with him keeping his models private, because I believe it's his decision to make and I have to respect that decision. He's done amazing work, which in fact got me started on paper models in the first place I believe, and I'm sorry to see them kept secret. But I won't hold it against him.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
I do what I do as a designer because I like doing it, not for attention. I figure that I want a particular model and I want it my way, which in my not so humble opinion is better than the models offered by AMT and MPC over the years. My standards of quality are high for my own work, and if people want a copy of it then I'm only too happy to provide it. I do appreciate thanks, but it's not really necessary.

Also, it's impossible for Lucasfilm to issue a C&D for paper models. As long as the artwork is free, then it falls under fair use. Only resin kits sold for profit would merit a C&D.

Shunichi is entitled to do what he wants with his work. I have no problem with him keeping his models private, because I believe it's his decision to make and I have to respect that decision. He's done amazing work, which in fact got me started on paper models in the first place I believe, and I'm sorry to see them kept secret. But I won't hold it against him.
Oh, I'm right there with you, but you have to admit that there are people in both the resin / styrene community and the card modeling community that do their very best to tear others work down and cause ceaseless issues due to their own lack of ability and then there are the people that actually complain about free models, they prefer to nitpick and degrade others work instead of looking at the time and effort that went into it and trying to be constructive, or helpful. Personally I've said before that I think that card models are the perfect cynergy between CG and styrene models, scratch building and the creative experience. I totally have fun doing what I do within the card modeling community and as a master maker, of resin and styrene models, I don't look down my nose at others efforts, nor do I look down my nose at the card modeling community in general, unlike some in the resin community, as a matter of fact I built my first scratch built model based on Ron Caudillo's Enterprise card model and I take great joy in continually pointing that out to those who do look down their nose at these offerings. There have been times when I've spent more time creating card models for the community than working on actual paying contracts, or resin models. As I've stated before, I sit down and do this at night to relax. Still, having said all of that, it is common courtesy for those that download and build them to say thanks once in awhile and you have to admit that those that profit off of others work are as bad as those that start personal vendettas again fellow modelers for no reason other than they feel they are in a position of power to do so.

I hate to see anyone wrongly accused, but I also hate to see anyones work stolen, additionally, those that mock others work instead of offering clear suggestions, or insight are usually the ones with no real talent. Like movie critics, the provide no real function, except to inflame and and tear down.

My whole point is this, whether it's card modeling, or styrene modeling, the jerks can be insufferable and can cause people to leave the craft all together. I've seen it happen in both communities.

Look at Uhu, he does awesome work, but is very protective of his work. The gentleman that we are discussing did indeed catch hell for his Star Wars models and it's my understanding that is why he removed the links to those models for some time.

It's the parasites and rivet counters and haters and bashers that destroy things in virtually every hobby, business etc...etc.... ad infintum.

I have given my hard work away for free for a long time and do not copyright any of my work unless I absolutely have to. It doesn't matter whether it's my art, card models, CG, or anything else. I figure that if you will steal something and take credit for it then you will have to live with what a loser you are for the rest of your life and I don't have to live with you. That's another reason why I make every attempt to credit anyone I work with and ask permission first, whenever possible.

Each person must live with his own honor, or lack thereof.

Last edited by Neptune; 01-29-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spellink
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
In general I don't reply to threads dealing with this topic, but I think it's time to work against a general bad mood here.

I totally agree with most of you - stealing someone else's work and earning money with it is inacceptable; but on the other side, with all the recent threads here, I get the feeling that the fight against this is more important than actual modeling and designing. Most users don't have any bad intentions, and so should we discuss.

I design models by myself and share them with the community for free. My intention is to spread the enjoyment I have with it, not to generate stuff to get a headache from because of the possibility of piracy. If I come across someone who uses my work for his own enrichment without asking me first, I'll do what I can to stop him, but I will treat it as what it is beside of all laws: One small bad aspect of a otherwise great hobby.

Thorsten
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
I design models by myself and share them with the community for free. My intention is to spread the enjoyment I have with it, not to generate stuff to get a headache from because of the possibility of piracy. If I come across someone who uses my work for his own enrichment without asking me first, I'll do what I can to stop him, but I will treat it as what it is beside of all laws: One small bad aspect of a otherwise great hobby.

Thorsten
Agreed one hundred percent.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Seconded.

I can't count the number of times someone has asked me, "Why do you release free models? You know they'll just get pirated, right?"

It's because I love this hobby, and I feel that if I have the ability, it's sort of my duty to release models that I create, and give any credit to those who help me when I can remember it (if I ever have a lapse here, just remember I was just forgetful, not trying to screw anyone over). If I've got a model I created that I feel proud of, I'll release it. I don't care if only one person liked it and benefited from my releasing it. It cost me nothing other than a little time to release it, and it makes me feel good that someone appreciates my work. I suppose in some twisted way I also feel proud about someone ripping off my work and selling it. Why? Because that means it's worth stealing and because someone felt it was worth paying for. It's almost a badge of honor for me in that respect (it's still wrong; don't quote me saying I support piracy).

The fact that I wasn't compensated has little bearing on it. I'm in it for the fun, and if someone likes it, great. If not, hey: no skin off my nose.

That being said, if I ever *do* catch someone stealing my work and claiming it as his/her own, I *will* personally grind them into the wall with my truck.

Anyway . . .

Isn't Shunichi's new TIE Fighter awesome?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
Seconded.

I can't count the number of times someone has asked me, "Why do you release free models? You know they'll just get pirated, right?"

It's because I love this hobby, and I feel that if I have the ability, it's sort of my duty to release models that I create, and give any credit to those who help me when I can remember it (if I ever have a lapse here, just remember I was just forgetful, not trying to screw anyone over). If I've got a model I created that I feel proud of, I'll release it. I don't care if only one person liked it and benefited from my releasing it. It cost me nothing other than a little time to release it, and it makes me feel good that someone appreciates my work. I suppose in some twisted way I also feel proud about someone ripping off my work and selling it. Why? Because that means it's worth stealing and because someone felt it was worth paying for. It's almost a badge of honor for me in that respect (it's still wrong; don't quote me saying I support piracy).

The fact that I wasn't compensated has little bearing on it. I'm in it for the fun, and if someone likes it, great. If not, hey: no skin off my nose.

That being said, if I ever *do* catch someone stealing my work and claiming it as his/her own, I *will* personally grind them into the wall with my truck.

Anyway . . .

Isn't Shunichi's new TIE Fighter awesome?
It would seem that we are all on the same page then, Yes Shunichi's TIE Fighter is very well done and I always enjoy seeing his work, just as I enjoy seeing a lot of others work around here... Yourself, Thunderchild, Blaar, ARMORMAN,..... There are so many. I've always enjoyed and been fascinated by the creative process.

One thing though, I would be carefull about laying out threats like that on an open forum. I stated that if I ever met a certain person that did his best to make my life hell, that I would beat him within an inch of his life. Almost instantly he went around telling people that I threatened to kill him. This obviously was not the case, but his clown pose' helped spread the lie. FYI, I did confront this person face to face and like every other coward and keyboard commando, he walked away. So, think about it. These open, or even veiled threats can be reason to be flagged.

I'm done with this. Keep on Trekkin! =/\=
Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Quick Q n A

Anyone built his original TIE model? I'm curious if he redid the entire design or if it appears he mostly reworked the 'ball'? The original one is attractive, but the more rounded ball design really adds to it... Cheers!

PS: not trying to be a nit-pick -eeck!

EDIT: it is possible, looking at his Blog entry for the new TIE, that he has put it under the pervue of a site where you must register as a member. Just using Babelfish to translate, it is confusing but that appears to be the case...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale

Last edited by rbeach84; 01-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Google Adsense