PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
that's the right size for that model mcusanelli, is an incredible model martin. ud I advance. printed out on A3 size sheets? excellent work is incredible
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Scheloske View Post
What is a "sponson"?
From thefreedictionary.com:
1. Any of several structures that project from the side of a boat or ship, especially a gun platform.

Check the sponsons on the hydroplane picture (although hydroplanes generally don't have gun platforms in the sponsons).
Attached Thumbnails
Buck Rogers Starfighter-hydro-flip.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
From thefreedictionary.com:
1. Any of several structures that project from the side of a boat or ship, especially a gun platform.

Check the sponsons on the hydroplane picture (although hydroplanes generally don't have gun platforms in the sponsons).
Now that is an interesting idea. Putting weapons platforms on hydroplanes. Seafaring fighters, I think that would be kind of cool.
It would make for a good SCI-FI ship.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
Now that is an interesting idea. Putting weapons platforms on hydroplanes. Seafaring fighters, I think that would be kind of cool.
It would make for a good SCI-FI ship.
That might change the unlimited Gold Cup racing! Although without guns a hydro, driven by Bill Muncey was responsible for the only sinking of a US Coast Guard cutter during peace time (1958 Gold cup race in Seattle).
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM

I remember my mum talking about that incident when I was a child.
She and I loved watching them. her favorites were Miss Atlas Van lines and Miss Budwieser.
My favorites were Miss Squire Shop and Miss Pay & Pac.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
I remember when Ms Budwieser, and U-76 were on display at my Jr High.

I think Ms Atlas Van Lines had the best looking boat though.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM

I remember my mom crying when Muncey was killled, but her favorite driver was Myra Slovac. My brother was a Bud fan, and Dean Chenowith. I liked the Miss Pay-N-Pak and the Tosi Austi and Steve Reynolds. I did meet Chip Hanauer (he drove 3 hot laps at Pacific Raceways, I was the rider in a new Saleen S281 convertible, top down). Ahhh, growing up in Seattle......
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Somebody converted one of these Thunderfighters to fly with model rocket motors over on the Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe forum...

Great looking ship! OL JR
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
Somebody converted one of these Thunderfighters to fly with model rocket motors over on the Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe forum...

Great looking ship! OL JR
I have seen this. It is quite interesting indeed.
Quite awhile back someone else had suggested making the HBB-TF into a RC plane. I would have loved to see that one built.

I would also like to see you guys make some of the other Thunder Fighter variants as well. (HINT HINT, NUDGE NUDGE)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
By the way that is a very nice model but when I downloaded it I wondered why the designer made the color of the ship look so yellowish cause in the TV show the Thunderfighthers look very grayish.

I know that the color of some spaceship props is an issue of some debate and that is because sometimes movie makers painted them in one way cause they knew that on movies or on TVs they would look different and they sometimes painted them slightly bluish or greenish or so to compensate so they actually looked grayish when shown to the audiences cause that is what the target color was.

So the color of the prop sometimes was fake to get the real color that they wanted after filming. Remember that after all back there there wasn't that much computer editing as it is done today (for easier color correction) and that prevented excessive masking and color correction problems when editing. Remember also that film has different brands and varies in the final look according to this too.

So what I was wondering is if the designer made it yellowish so it looked more like an original prop or something like that.

I was under the impression that they were supposed to be grayish in the TV show but I did go back to see some YouTube videos of the ships and they do look kinda yellowish but I feel that this may be due to the effect of studio lighting, that is the impression that I have but I'm not really sure.

Does anybody have more info on this? Does anybody know if the ships were supposed to be yellowish like that? I even went to see pictures of the original props on the web and some pictures look slightly yellow but others look more grayish.

Look at this guy's blueprints of the ship, it is colored gray:

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...bagera3005.png

Now look at many photos of the TV show props and notice how many of them do look yellowish:

http://www.universalhartland.com/code/buck000m.shtml

But I wonder if this is also partly to these pictures being so old too which could compound the problem of getting accurate information.

I feel that that is what may have led the designer of the paper model to make the templates look like that but I still feel strongly about the ships really being meant to be grayish.

Another possibility is that the studio lights were meant to make them look slightly yellow due to them being supposedly illuminated by the Sun's yellow rays. Look at Buck's shuttle in the second link and even that one looks very yellowish and isn't that one supposed to have a color that sort of mimics a NASA shuttle? (even if it is a very different shuttle of course) Don't you think that it would look more whitish like the real shuttles?

Wow look at all this that I wrote! No wonder it makes it kinda difficult to asses the accuracy of something like this.

Last edited by PixelOz; 05-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Google Adsense