PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.43 MB
Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter

Hey Guys,
As promised, here is the Quad built from the Paperaviation.de kit and the add-on kit by Rhavenblack and Revell-fan. I had a blast building this one, in 1/32 scale this time. The larger build of the standard two-seater really helped in familiarizing me with the tricky areas. The new parts fit and went together with the existing parts perfectly - Once again, any mistakes, and there were several, were due to me and not the kits....lots of cover-ups with a second set of prints! Once again, I used wooden dowels painted black to make the cannon barrels...no way was I going to be able to roll those tiny parts! This was a dream model of mine since I was a kid, that I never thought I'd ever see as a kit. You've really got to love this hobby and the generosity of the talented designers on this forum, as well as Zealot, who share their work so unselfishly. Thanks again!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter-imgp5397.jpg   Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter-imgp5398.jpg   Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter-imgp5395.jpg   Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter-imgp5396.jpg   Buck Rogers Quad Starfighter-imgp5400.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
fantastico...กกกกกกก
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Again, another FANTASTIC job, well done.

I too have very large (bear like) hands, and sometimes have problems with the small fiddly parts (like rolling the gun barrels).
One of the things that I have found that works for me, is I first start by placing the part that I want to roll in the meaty part of my hand, then take a very thin screwdriver (the type that you would use for very small screws used for electronic components) to start rolling and shaping the part. After that I would put some glue on the part and use a large stick pin to roll the part around it. After the glue dries, I slide it off the pin and the part is ready to use.
Although, I do have to say, that I too have used toothpicks instead of the rolled tubes one some occasions.

Keep up the GREAT work. I am looking forward to seeing more of it.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
Vary nice build!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
A fantastic one ! A so clean build... I'm jalous !
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Great looking model, with a superb display base. Very dynamic...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Gorgeous build! Congrats!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Here is a suggestion. If you want to add more detail, you can print out extra sheets of curtain parts and cut out the detailed parts and layer them on to give the model more of a 3-D look.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Great job, Mike. Very clean and precise. How did you achieve the glossy surface on the paper (or did you use photopaper)?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.43 MB
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
Rhaven, thanks for the tecnique on rolling small parts! I've got to try that.
Don, after I printed the sheets out,(on 110lb cover stock, from Staples) I sprayed two coats of Krylon Triple-thick clear gloss. This makes them slightly glossy, and a bit tougher during construction. When the model was done, I gave it a couple more coats, but it came out uneven, so I let it dry for a couple of days. I airbrushed some Future over the finish, and that did the trick. Note: I experimented with hairspray to seal the parts, and some I used turned the prints purplish, and Future directly on the prints made the ink run....Tested on scrap pieces, not good parts! The Krylon seals and protects, and allows you to spray the future on top without ruining anything...just got to be dry between the coats. One thing I found out the hard way....Don't spray the Krylon on a hot day or a cold damp day..It's not forgiving, and can cloud up, or make the surface look like sandpaper! Also, if you use Crystal Clear Krylon, the paper will smell like a toxic waste dump for about a year! I need to try try Testors gloss enamel, I think that might work nicely too.
Google Adsense