PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The simplest thing to do, and what I've seen done, is to convert shipping containers in to small houses. There are lots of shipping containers already built, and a couple companies already converting them into housing (I think in Asia somewhere. They stack them and make whole apartment complexes.)

found one Shipping Container Housing Guide
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
they could just drive them out to the area nd athen drive to a safe zone with a apollo booster tractor.
the lis chariot is in the download q now.
its not that its a bad model, its just not a really good model.
lol.
jim
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
No matter how interesting are the issues you are discussing, they're US domestic policy, I'll abstain to comment.
I understood the point would be to have an emergency shelter design, to send help for disaster areas.
To stay in your region, I can remember two situations:
Tahiti, with those appalling scenes of military throwing food from helicopters to desperate mobs, as if they were feeding cattle and New Orleans.
So I took it as the point would be some sort of fast deployment shelter, for fast and organized assistance.
I mentioned stacking as a good design characterstic for storage and transportation.
In design or anything requiring planning, first you discuss the goals, then the several potential solutions and only then start working on the solution you chose.
Rgds
Carlos
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
they could just drive them out to the area nd athen drive to a safe zone with a apollo booster tractor.
the lis chariot is in the download q now.
its not that its a bad model, its just not a really good model.
lol.
jim
Then they'll put a fence around them and guard them from outside dangers. There they'll remain. The country has been down that road before. I 'll stick with creating jobs gentrifying older abandoned buildings. They can be condemned and taken over by the state. This is how Connecticut is doing it. You had better take care of what you own. You become a slum lord, or let you 4 or 8 apartment house/building get run down, they condemned the building, then charge you for the demolition, and the land becomes town property. Then comes in the housing. Not always perfect, but it caused massive amounts of wealthy slumlords to do the right thing. Hit them in their pockets. They have no soul.

Designing shelters for 3rd world communities (of which there are in America) should be done before hand. The infrastructure should be put in before hand, and durable prefab housing designed (of which many exist) put it. They are trying to reinvent the wheel. Some people saw a way to make money for themselves, instead of applying the existing solutions to the existing problems. "Be here now". A good philosophy.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos filipe View Post
No matter how interesting are the issues you are discussing, they're US domestic policy, I'll abstain to comment.
I understood the point would be to have an emergency shelter design, to send help for disaster areas.
To stay in your region, I can remember two situations:
Tahiti, with those appalling scenes of military throwing food from helicopters to desperate mobs, as if they were feeding cattle and New Orleans.
So I took it as the point would be some sort of fast deployment shelter, for fast and organized assistance.
I mentioned stacking as a good design characterstic for storage and transportation.
In design or anything requiring planning, first you discuss the goals, then the several potential solutions and only then start working on the solution you chose.
Rgds
Carlos
Just as America's actions affect the whole world, I would like to hear your opinions.
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

well, darn it! lets see some crate conversions posted here then!!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
well, darn it! lets see some crate conversions posted here then!!!!!
I have been watching your posts here since you have joined and I don't think I have ever seen anyone before so positive, and post positively. Kudos to you.

I lived off of the back of my motorcycle, volutarily, back in the '70's, because I saw a time coming when you would not be able to do that without being called a trespasser of vagrant. I was both, but I had a motorcycle (which I still have) and had money saved to allow for this sabbatical.

There were times after my first debilitating injury when I was near homeless, and I Thanked God, on my knees, for the ratty apartment I had, that had heat, and kept the elements out. It was my landlord, a 58 year old extremely schizoprenic landlord, who asked me to stay, offered to pay me to stay. I did not take any money, but when I finally caught up, I paid him 6 months back rent. His family then said, because of the stabilizing influence they believed I was, that under no circumstance was I to leave without informing them. They did not care about the rent. I paid it, and raised it on myself too! I lived there for 23 years. I almost purchased 2 acres of land they promised to sell me, but as his brothers and sisters died, their children had a crazy ideas the land was worth far more than I offered. I had to move. They begged me to stay, and if they had sold me the land, I would have managed the small apartment house while he stayed in the main house, and I easily could have taken care of him. They would have made even more money.

The multi family house is empty, and though he is still alive, he is quite alone. They never sold the land!!

A lot of these homeless people need a PERMANENT place to live, where their medical care, and whole life situation can be dealt with. That would create a lot of jobs. It would virtually eliminate the housing problem. Of course, this is common sense and would never fly.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

yes, for god's sakes, at least help the helpable!!!!
i have seen so many things since i opened my eyes,
some want to live free, so be it.
but some want to have a job, a place, safe and sane to live in.
why not have them put @#$#$^ brooms together for all i care, and let them make some money and pay the rent, even if it is a trailer style crate.
i had to live in a lake!
we used to have to get up and 5 am in the morning, a half an hour before we went to bed,
eat a lump of dry poison,
clean the lake and then go work 24 hours round at the mill
and when we came home for supper, our father would slice us in 2 with a breadknife!
and then dance on our graves singing halleluja!!!!
by the way that was nice of you to stick around for that old guy, sympathy proves that we are not robots.......
i try to show the little i have, stubbornly and with predjudice. but at least i can still do it!
jim
Old 03-30-2012, 02:40 PM

I'm in the Midwest, down south of me the town of Henryville, IN was pretty much erased from the proverbial map after an EF tornado occurred on March 2nd 2012, so the discussion of emergency shelters is pretty topical here.

My take is more on easily assembled geodesic designs which can be 'flat-packed' for mass delivery to sites of such disasters, basic shells that would be ready for modular utility hook-up and installation packages dependent on the dwellers needs.

I love the concept of repurposed cargo containers but such in this application might better serve as communal bathing-laundry facilities as well as communal kitchens-pantries roles. The establishment of an infrastructure, power, water, etc, might best be fulfilled by container-based 'sub-stations' thus keeping the housing units as low-tech but comfortable and livable as such the circumstances allow.

Spent most of my life in the Midwest and often wondered why there is not a dedicated storm-heavy weather disaster response team other than the Red Cross and National Guard, FEMA just shows up after the general public stirs up a fuss.

Aerial Photos: Henryville, Ind. damage after deadly EF-4 tornado | WHAS11.com Louisville
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Anyone here in FEMA? Are you listening?