PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
I vote for that giant phone from Land of the Giants.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
yeah! gaint dial phones are fun to play on!
the deadly toadstool!!!!
ready? traitor-
Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.73 MB
Hand up for LIS first season episodes with the Chariot and Jupiter 2. The Jupiter effects in the 2nd episode (The Derelict) I believe (and I daresay am putting my neck out here) were some of the best model effects in any television show, especially when it entered the derelict ship and was coming in to land.
Fast forward to the 5th episode (the hungry sea) and the chariot model crossing the frozen sea then entering, recrossing the unfrozen sea and leaving the sea, simply outstanding helped along by excellent story lines and casting, not to mention an superlative score by John (Johnny) Williams.
The only critique of the chariot model was when it got in rough going the occupants tended to rock about but, on smooth surfaces it was sometimes unclear if they were using the model or real item.
As a youngster always thought how cool it would be to own one.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingmissartoq View Post
Hand up for LIS first season episodes with the Chariot and Jupiter 2. The Jupiter effects in the 2nd episode (The Derelict) I believe (and I daresay am putting my neck out here) were some of the best model effects in any television show, especially when it entered the derelict ship and was coming in to land.
Fast forward to the 5th episode (the hungry sea) and the chariot model crossing the frozen sea then entering, recrossing the unfrozen sea and leaving the sea, simply outstanding helped along by excellent story lines and casting, not to mention an superlative score by John (Johnny) Williams.
The only critique of the chariot model was when it got in rough going the occupants tended to rock about but, on smooth surfaces it was sometimes unclear if they were using the model or real item.
As a youngster always thought how cool it would be to own one.
I have to totally agree with this!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The LotG Spindrift always struck my eyes as being ugly: a badly distorted Flying sub in the first place, and in styling terms: I hated it.

The LIS Chariot was plainly a snowtractor without the dozerblade, and the only reason I did like it was that at least it made a difference at times to Dr Smith's endless scheming, whingeing and whining.
The LIS Jupiter II was plainly an impossibility: nothing that small could have an upper and lower deck, plus powerplant/propulsion plant, plus all the ancillary equipment (Chariot, Space Pod, etc). Even as a child, I could not give the craft credence, it was simply not believable. The only thing it did have in it's favour was the simplicity of it's styling, which was at the time, unique.

Which leaves the Flying Sub from VtboS as the best of the models from an Irwin Allen tv series.
While it was never employed sufficiently often to satisfy my viewing tastes, it certainly was the most unique vehicle of it's era.
Which is why I enjoyed seeing it.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
yay!!!!!!!!!
i picked the best one as my favorite!!!!!!!!!
the flying sub is kongarica!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 534.62 MB
IIRC. the Chariot was based on a Thipkol ''Spryte'' snow cat. Are there any paper models of one out there? It would be a starting point.

There is a Flying Sub at the Lower Hudson Valley PaperMmodel site.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
The LotG Spindrift always struck my eyes as being ugly: a badly distorted Flying sub in the first place, and in styling terms: I hated it.

The LIS Chariot was plainly a snowtractor without the dozerblade, and the only reason I did like it was that at least it made a difference at times to Dr Smith's endless scheming, whingeing and whining.
The LIS Jupiter II was plainly an impossibility: nothing that small could have an upper and lower deck, plus powerplant/propulsion plant, plus all the ancillary equipment (Chariot, Space Pod, etc). Even as a child, I could not give the craft credence, it was simply not believable. The only thing it did have in it's favour was the simplicity of it's styling, which was at the time, unique.
Agree wholeheartedly. As a kid, I just couldn't figure out how they managed to cram so much into such a small vessel. I realize now that it was so small because of filming/budgetary constraints for the TV shows of the time. However, even then I always felt patronised by Kid's TV for not being true and faithful to scientific facts. Now as an adult, I can sit back and enjoy them for what they were, pure escapist hocum. Ah, those were the days.
Definitely the Seaview for me, as it LOOKED as if it would work.
Nice thread btw.
B.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.02 MB
Time to step up and be the heretic.....
As a kid I actively disliked LIS, Land of the Giants and Swiss Family Robinson but I couldn't get enough of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. So my fave is the USOS Seaview.

*duck*
papermodelers (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
LIS had 2 things in it's favour. A: the Robot. B: the youngest daughter was very visually attractive. That was it , for that show.

LotG had none of that. And the Spindrift looked as though someone had got lazy, and stretched the hitherto beloved Flying Sub into a fat, ugly, doughy, cheap and nasty monstrosity, slapped a few dark plastic grid-vent panels on it, then coloured the resulting horror in Fire Engine Red.
I never did find any thing in LotG that was redeeming: made it worth watching as a show.

VttBots at least did "look workable" as far as the internals of the Seaview were portrayed. A noteworthy factor which also survived into Seaquest DSV.
In that, I agree with you, Pem Tech.

The general lack of believability in the Irwin Allen shows was exactly why I far preferred Space 1999, UFO, and even dear old Dr Who. The vehicles were believable, as were the interior sets, and the model vehicles when employed.

It is not a wonder at all that when shows I barely tolerated were on I simply sat and read a book, or went off and worked on various models.

Kind and Respective Regards, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense