PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.73 MB
Sorry, I was just speculating and throwing in some ideas. The model you have created is excellent and is a representation of what the designer intended based on your research.

Somewhere between his design and the final print they simplified the design probably to save costs for a, what, 10 minute scene? To build the whole craft (or even a larger section) would have been prohibitively expensive, so they appear to have opted for something the audience could recognise and left the rest to the audience imagination. Of course it had to be other wordly, hence the comment in the movie "We've finally got one, a flying saucer!".

I did mistake one issue, in the scene where they shape out the craft under the ice, the fin is at the middle rear of the circle, which fits with the design you found.

Thank you for your work on these icons of Sci-fi, they are indeed fascinating.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
i was thinking what you said over and i thought maybe it would be better to drop the side fins.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Please leave the side fins as an option, Jim.
My reasoning is this: in the picture taken from the movie, the central fin would be twice the height of the side fins, but we only see the top half or less of the central fin, and therefore the other two fins may well be below the surface of the "ice" in the picture.

Not only that, but in the early MUFON records, there *is* an unverified description of a three-finned craft much as your drawing has it. How that relates, or even if it relates to the shown craft in the movie I know not, nor wish to speculate which came first, MUFON description or movie.

However, by way of parallel example, the Roswell craft released a few years ago at Paper-replika was based on a MUFON description that had also been used for a Lindberg Line Roswell UFO kit. That craft did have twin fins. So, a three-fin variant may not have been out of place for the craft in the movie in any case.

Kind and Respectful Regards Jim my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

i'll probably just leave it the way it is then, i was kind of picturing a saucer with a cockpit on one side, and a intersteller ram jet on the other, with on fin on top and two fins on the bottom on each side in the back.
just kind of fooling around with an idea.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 AM

Check the MUFON sketch collection.
It used to be online, though I admit I have not seen it in a long while.
Reference search clues include "Dr. J. Allen Hynek" , "MUFON", "Coral (Sometimes written as "Coralie") Samson". Betty and Barney Hill Abduction".
I'm sorry I don't recall more than that, Jim, it's been years since I've even thought of this info.

Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Banned

i have always liked 'the interrupted journy' about betty and barney hill, and i have made a model of the ship. i think i might remake it though.
hmmmmmmmmm, i have some ideas on it now. thanks for mentioning it.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM

You're very welcome Jim.

I saw your Betty & Barney Hill ship on the other thread and like it.

I read "Project Bluebook" when it was publically released in the late 1980's. Of course, it was a total whitewash, and amounted to a "deny everything" in print, and at the $90 price per copy, I wasn't about to spend any money on a whitewash.

It did though, have several vaguely useable sketches of various UFOs from various incidents. If you found a copy online, it too would be useful as a resource for the various UFO shapes it depicts.

I hope the info helps.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 201.63 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingmissartoq View Post
When they fan out the fin showing is in the centre of the saucer whereas there should be two fins showing based on the design as presented.
It looks to me like the fin shown is the tip of the center fin. Since the center fin is much taller than the other fins, this fin could easily be the only one sticking up above the ice. Alternatively, if the saucer were upside down, the lower forward fin could possible be the one shown. Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

yeah i have been trying to find those, i cannot. i wish i could.

nice idea, it crashed upside down.........
i like it.
jim