here's a start at 3d...
Attached Thumbnails
Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-rfkab01.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
My holdback on publishing it is I haven't figured out how to paint it. I don't have it as a 3d model but just flat conic sections. I have the skills now to make a 3ds version of it now, but I can't go the other way, I don't know how to flatten when its a 3d model...
You get the 3D model done and I'll texture it and color it in various derivations. As long as you have a UV map, or basic texture, it's a cake walk for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem Tech View Post
Oh, it is workable alright...
Team Vatsaas produces the coolest flying retro rockets.

Rocket Team Vatsaas TRFKAB Index
Nice! Thanks for that.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
You get the 3D model done and I'll texture it and color it in various derivations. As long as you have a UV map, or basic texture, it's a cake walk for me.
ok, I'll play. lets see it this can work. I've textured two parts of the rocket, converted them to 3ds. when I looked at them, the textures were on the inside, so I reversed that. I'm sending you 4 3ds files, lets see if you can flatten any of them. this is a pretty easy test, just 2 conic sections, with tops and bottoms, textured. If we can't get anywhere with this, then we will never get a whole rocket done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rfkab01_texturetest.zip (66.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok, I'll play. lets see it this can work. I've textured two parts of the rocket, converted them to 3ds. when I looked at them, the textures were on the inside, so I reversed that. I'm sending you 4 3ds files, lets see if you can flatten any of them. this is a pretty easy test, just 2 conic sections, with tops and bottoms, textured. If we can't get anywhere with this, then we will never get a whole rocket done.
Woohoo, I just came in from setting up a new mold to take a break and found this and I can tell you that it worked! I opened all of the parts in pep and got one of the parts to take the texture file Nav01, so yeah, we're good. Give some idea of how you want this to look and we're on our way. I can generate vector files, or texture manually, or use photos, but I prefer the vector files.

Woohoo!
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Woohoo, I just came in from setting up a new mold to take a break and found this and I can tell you that it worked! I opened all of the parts in pep and got one of the parts to take the texture file Nav01, so yeah, we're good. Give some idea of how you want this to look and we're on our way. I can generate vector files, or texture manually, or use photos, but I prefer the vector files.

Woohoo!
so lets see what those two conic sections looked like unfolded...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
so lets see what those two conic sections looked like unfolded...
OK, depending on how you want the texture justified, I can change the U coordinate, or the V coordinate and, or flip the faces from internal to external. Also, you should know that I textured all four files... Finally, there is some wonkyness to the unfold, but that can be addressed in how it's layed out, what is included and what's discarded, or it can be addressed on the fly during the preliminary build. Attached are four pics. One thing is sure though, I can work with the files as they are and with that I can modify the texture and positioning as well as scale to a desired size.
Attached Thumbnails
Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-screenhunter_27-may.-01-14.30.jpg   Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-screenhunter_26-may.-01-14.28.jpg   Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-screenhunter_25-may.-01-14.28.jpg   Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-screenhunter_29-may.-01-14.37.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Wow! that look like a descent bit of unfolding... screenhunter 25 looks very build-able.

Curious though, The .3ds files I sent you were already textured, it looks like you just applied the texturing from the .jpgs that were in the zip file, or am I mistaken?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow! that look like a descent bit of unfolding... screenhunter 25 looks very build-able.

Curious though, The .3ds files I sent you were already textured, it looks like you just applied the texturing from the .jpgs that were in the zip file, or am I mistaken?
No. You're right, don't what the deal was, but if you can output as .obj files and send the texture and .mtl file, as well as the 3ds file, maybe I can figure it out. Some times conversions between 3DS and Lightwave cause issues and collada is a completely different nightmare. What program are you using, if I can use the same program and we can work together on this and we'll be way ahead of the game. Between you and I and Pem Tech, I see some very interesting things happening.

Send me a PM with your digits and we can hash this out a lot quicker. I'm running back and forth between the garage and the house and working on the Tin Toy build while working on the molds and casts for the 350th TOS and the 50" Refit and you're wearing me out, LOL!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 AM

ok you got me inspired, I'm on my way...
Attached Thumbnails
Fallout NV Vintage Tin Toy Rocket.-ac3d_image10.jpg  
Google Adsense