PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Now I'm going to back up a bit here and try to point out some of the challenges one might encounter when working on this build.

There is no clear indication how far forward or backward in the "tub" to place the cockpit deck and rear bulkhead. I went with aligning the indicated console outlines with the front of the "tub." (visible on the deck to the pilots left side in this photo)
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

This shows a test fit of the large cockpit. Also, though you cannot see it from my photos the rear bulkhead has a support triangle protruding straight back from the middle of the rear bulkhead. In order to fit the deck in, I found it necessary to trim the support down in all mock ups that I completed.

It is also not clearly indicated which of the 2 indicated cutout notches indicated above should align with the top of the tub. In the smaller model I used the bottom notch, while in the larger model it seems to fall in line with the top one.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 768x576.

The instructions are very unclear regarding the semi rectangular piece seen to the rear of the seat bottoms. In the instructions it appears a uniform dark grey. I found it helpful to print the instructions as a photo, AND have them displayed on the monitor from the website. The website uses red lines to indicate part numbers which can end up being more helpful than the included instructions.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

These are the pieces for the seat side/armrests. You will notice that there is a long strip with a control panel detail that goes around the outside of the piece. There are only the four small rectangular pieces to fill both the inside cutouts. These, I believe are meant for detail pieces for the missing inside piece. I got around this by laminating the armrests. As seen below.

This picture also shows the curved "leather" elbow rest on the side console that had to be created as the one included in the model is way too short.

On the small cockpit pictured below I had to shorten both consoles by about 3/16"

I also ran a supporting piece around the entire upper area of the rear bulkhead and side bulkheads. One final bit, as a beginner I was a bit lost/befuddled at the lack of any glue tabs etc in the cockpit pieces, but I have to say that am not surprised that it does tend to make a much cleaner product.

That is all that I can think of for now.

HE will bring balance to the farce.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Finished the "hero" cockpit! And I apologize in advance for the pictures that display sideways. I haven't had the problem before, so I'm not too sure why it's happening now.

Hero cockpit . . .

and again . . .

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
Seat back . . .

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
Deck detailing, showing scuffing and "wearing" of the "interior" paint.

Left console showing wear and tear.

More . . .

Right console and deck showing wear and tear.

and again . . .

More to come . . .
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM

More update pics:

Two cockpits!

Now I get to start working on the exterior. That will hopefully go quicker as there are around 300 pieces in each interior
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM

The story continues . . . .

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 979x765.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

I think R2 should look before he "leaps"!

The farce surrounds us and penetrates us.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Ha, ha, ha... LOL! Man, this build is looking nice!
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 PM

@Neptune-Thank you very much!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsargent View Post
@Neptune-Thank you very much!
You're welcome. The work and the humor speaks for itself.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

hahahaha,.. very very cool!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM

OK, so I've been a bit stalled on this for the past couple of weeks. Partly due to trying to figure out how I was going to do the canopies. My initial idea didn't pan out, but I think that I have that solved.

So onward with what little progress has been made-

Pieces for the small hull cut out and edges painted.

Pieces shaped, cockpit ring glued closed . . .

And installed . . .

You will notice toward the top of the sides of the cockpit and hull join that the ring is not completely glued down. I corrected this after the glue had set for a couple of days.

There is also some roughness at the very top/rear of the canopy attachment area. This will not be visible after the canopy has been intalled.

More roughness and unevenness . . . .grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have the large hull cut out and laminated to 1mm card. Boy, shaping that properly is a real b!tch!

That's it for now,

The farce controls us, but obeys our commands as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 AM

very sweet!
Google Adsense