PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Jedi ETA-2 by Paper-Replika 1/18

The mission: Scale Paper-Replika's Jedi ETA-2 up 157% and build with interior by Tomasz Bąk
also available on Paper-Replika.com. Construct with opening clear canopy, and possibly hinged
wing flaps. Create a recessed port for R2D2. Make sturdy enough to be played with by a 4 year old.

Finish by said (almost) 4 year old's 4th birthday on May 14th.

I had originally planned to scale up the Republic Attack Gunship, but seeing that it would
be between 3 and 4 feet in length when properly scaled up, I realized that I had nowhere near
enough time. So that will have to be longer term, maybe Christmas.

So I scaled the templates up, and had to rearrange them and modify pieces to fit on the
8.5x11" stock that I have. I'll be using 65# card stock with 1mm matte board or 3mm Sintra
(a PVC foam board) depending on how much reinforcement is needed in each given area.

First set of pics ... nothing much, just the resized, reorganized and crammed together pieces.

The complete enlarged model on top, and the almost stock printout on bottom
(Ok, printed at 94% to fit 8.5x11). And yes, I will be building both scales, one for him,and one for me.

The main body/cockpit base. This really shows the difference in scale.

More scale pics, showing the cockpit compartment.

Poor R2 . . . . looks like he blew a circuit!

Progress time!

Cockpit/hull base cut out and edged painted with 10x0 brush. These watercolors represent
the best $3 spent on paper modeling

The Sintra base. Not as clean as I had hoped . . . plus a bit of skin left behind courtesy of Mr. CA Glue.

The two together.

Grrrrrr ......

Well, not as clean as I had hoped. Some issues with the Sintra base, but not too objectionable,
at least not so that a 4 year old would get upset about it.

Apparently R2 is -VERY- protective about Anakin's ETA-2.

That's it for now, hopefully I'll get some decent progress tomorrow.

vbsargent
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks good, so far... You really think you're going to have it done by the Birthday? Good luck.... May The Force Be With You!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
This should be a pretty awesome build! Looking forward to the results.

Niki
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
You're hoping to have a model that can stand up to a 4-year-old? Good luck. When I was four, my ships did a lot of "crash-landings" in the back yard.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Banned

BTW, Love the animation!
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
BTW, Love the animation!
That's what a clone pilot gets for sitting in Anakin's tub.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 AM

Forgot to get pics yesterday, so took pics of the past two days' work. Getting some progress in the cockpits, I may just go with mostly 2 layers laminated matte board plus the card. The large cockpit floor and rear bulkhead were done this way and it is THICK and sturdy. So far the builds are not as clean as I would have liked, but I don't think that will be detrimental to the overall pieces as they are meant to look extensively used in battle.

Here's pics:

Floor of cockpit. You might notice some degradation in the color saturation between the smaller and larger pieces. This is due to having to convert all to jpegs then edit in Photoshop, then print. Next time I'll try to convert to PNGs.

BTW- the rear bulkhead is not attached as yet, they are just leaning up against each other.

More floor/bulkhead.

And more . . . . .

Sides of cockpits both large and small.

Detail shots

It's hard to tell, but the little red dots are about 1 mm in diameter on the smaller model.

Hopefully I'll get more done on both tomorrow and some more detailed progress pics.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM

This will be very fun to watch ecspecialy if the action figures make a return appearance
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM

very very cool! your boy is going to love it,.. years from now he will carry that memory whether it gets destroyed or not!,.. good for you!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM

@ duditz72-I was looking for his Clone Wars Anakin figure today . . . looks like he's AWOL- visiting Amidala again no doubt!

@ HMCS- That's one reason that I'm doing it. Last year I made him Clone Trooper armor which he periodically pulls out and puts on. I also like the idea of a toy made just for him. None of his friends will have one like it even if they have the store bought one. Now if I can just get it done in time, and then on to working on the monster 1/18 Republic Attack Gunship!
Google Adsense