PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
John Leslie's Nautilus

Look what I got in the mail today! Whoot! I was tasked with doing research on this vessel by a friend some time ago and have in fact been doing that for some time, I've got a boatload of references and got some really good information from Will Babbington, who did the last resto on the Disney Nautilus. I went so far as to purchase the special edition of the movie and go through every single frame of the interior shots and exterior shots. Since my friend is building one of these to make into a kit, I just had to have my own, so I searched high and low and came up with a decent CG model of it, that may in fact be the one that was used to do the sfx shots for the extras in the above mentioned movie. I've played around with the CG model and will be using that to make additions to the card model. I fully intend to light it and have a squid wrapped around it as well as some other cool extras. Stayed tuned, this will be a long term project, much as the I:I to Cylon that I need to update. Thank you John Leslie. BTW, this 36" card model is available through John's website.
Attached Thumbnails
John Leslie's Nautilus-nautilus-2.jpg   John Leslie's Nautilus-nautilus-1.jpg   John Leslie's Nautilus-nautilus-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Another classic!!! Will be watching..
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
Re: references; if you haven't seen these they might be of interest:
Yours in a White Wine Sauce!: Les Mystères du Nautilus
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
One of my most favored subjects!! Watching anxiously!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblf49 View Post
Re: references; if you haven't seen these they might be of interest:
Yours in a White Wine Sauce!: Les Mystères du Nautilus
Those are awesome shots, thank you very much for those, to bad a trip to Paris is not in the budget at this time.... I've got to find out why some of these links keep going to that stupid web-ring thing with all of dead and insignificant links....???

Glad you like this, will keep you updated.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Got a bit more done on this today, while trying to wake up and have my coffee. I played with the squid, drew it into Bryce 7.0 and scaled to match the Naughtyless... Converted the model and textured it to go with the model....
Attached Thumbnails
John Leslie's Nautilus-screenhunter_07-may.-18-10.29.jpg   John Leslie's Nautilus-screenhunter_08-may.-18-10.29.jpg   John Leslie's Nautilus-nautilus-squid.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
There is a fairly good model of the Disney version of the Nautilus on the market already, published by the Deutsches Schiffahrtmuseum in Bremerhaven, Germany. There are so many other models to be designed that to my mind, it would be a pity to do double work...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
There is a fairly good model of the Disney version of the Nautilus on the market already, published by the Deutsches Schiffahrtmuseum in Bremerhaven, Germany. There are so many other models to be designed that to my mind, it would be a pity to do double work...
If you look at my first post, you'll see that I was more, or less contracted to research this model and have done so. I've got this version of the model, plus the references, plus the screenscaps, plus the CG model. There are various versions of this ship in styrene, resin, cardstock and so on..... Since I've gotten this far into it why not proceed? The time I've spent would indeed be wasted if I gave up. It's just like the WWC Ark, the TOS Enterprise, the 50" Refit and so on. I would rather build my own than purchase someone else's version, especially after the history I've had with the resin, garage-kit, mfgrs and vendors and clowns that talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. Besides, I've got a lot of things in the pot boiling.... Why not move forward? I seem to be able to move pretty quickly when I want to.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Personally, I like to see other varients of model subjects. I like to see how different designers solve the engineering design process. Neptune, I have always admired your work!

I especially like the addition of the giant Squid. This will be a very nice touch!

Best Regards,
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I'll be enjoying watching this one evolve, Neptune my friend.
For all the debate the Disney version of the vessel has accumulated over the years as regards it's dimensional improbabilities etc etc, it remains a movie icon of its' era.

That various other versions of the vessel have come into existence simply validates Verne's original concept, imho. What would be most interesting to me would be to eventually see ranged alongside Verne's Nautilus the vehicle Verne describes in "Master of the World", a "vehicle capable of travelling at 200 miles per hour, by land, air, or sea". I'm unaware of many serious attempts to depict that vehicle in model form, and references are extremely rare to say the least of it, whether pictorial or written.

So, it is going to be a pleasure to see this variant of Nautilus emerge, and it will certainly be added to various collections of variants if it should become available.

Kind and Respectful Regards Neptune my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense