PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Still working on the nose assembly

While still working on the nose section, I decided to focus on the lower half of it. The canard mount is made up of one piece of stock and since I wanted to make sure it was going to seat right and not too far through the slits in each side of the nose piece, I got 2 pieces of scrap and sandwiched it between them. This gave me a shoulder on each side as a stopping point through the slots.

The first pic and second closeup shows my using those sliding micro clamps to keep the outer piece shaped around each side of the whole as it dries. The closeup shows also, my using a bead of glue along the joint, first one side, then the other once the first one dries.

The third image shows my decision on which way to try and glue up the second of three pieces which make up the canopy and underside of it. I tried to think of another way, in case whoever reads this does not have access to long-nose hemostats like those in the pics, but hopefully, the mention of clothespins earlier will help with this. Also, note that the best way I see to clamp this up is to first do one tab on one side, then do the one on the opposite side and continue down the length of it until you reach the last one.

About those long-nosed clamps I mentioned, I think you can get something like it but smooth along the jaws at an electronic store or hobby shop. I'm not sure which really.
Attached Thumbnails
MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2288.jpg   MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2290.jpg   MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2293.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
You are doing a really good job of explaining your way through this project.
Your photos are nice and clear. Continue like this and this thread will be a great guild for others to follow.
Keep up the GREAT work.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook62 View Post
Once I got the parts printed and read the instructions several times, it was time to start cutting and glueing. In the first image you'll note the sliding clamp holding the wrap-around strip to the bulkhead piece, these clamps are great for this, btw. There is little to no actual pressure on the piece, only just enough to hold the strip to the edge of the piece within.

Also, there is the other pic, showing a small "gang"of clamps holding the surfaces of the canopy in place while it dries.
UPDATE: It seems my foresight does not work as well as I'd like....when you get ready to put the wrap around piece around the bulkhead, it needs to rest flush as possible on one side. This allows a surface to be available when you put the canard mount/nose and the canopy section together. I will add a pic of this as soon as I can. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused!

Here is what I would recommend to help with the bulkhead problem. When you cut out the part marked XS1, double or triple its' thickness by sandwiching 2 or 3 pieces along with the original,to make it thick enough to be pushed down inside of the wrap-around strip and flush with one side and then glued. Again, as I can get it done, I will post pics in my next actual progress post.

Last edited by bcook62; 06-10-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 AM

Still working on the nose assembly-2

Okay, as I go, it's almost time to join the two sub assemblies, as well as address that bulkhead issue from earlier.

1. With about 4 pennies to provide something to keep the part flat and inside the wrap around, I used a slide clamp to keep the pieces close together until the glue sets.
  2. Still using the alternating right-left, right-left glue method I mentioned earlier, even the pesky last piece seems to join up well. I want to mention here also that hopefully you can see where I can put one or even two tabs under the area to be joined while the next tab in the order stays on top, to help in both alignment and overall glueing.
  3. And finally,the remaining sides of the nose area are almost done,with just one more tab to go. Then, next we insert the bulkhead and butt-up the two halves together, in my next next post.
Attached Thumbnails
MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2296.jpg   MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2299.jpg   MIG 31 "Firefox" by Janx-dscn2298.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
You are doing a really good job of explaining your way through this project.
Your photos are nice and clear. Continue like this and this thread will be a great guild for others to follow.
Keep up the GREAT work.
Thank you very much Rhaven. I'm trying to not bog this down too much with details, but also, want to make sure even some of the problems are shown and how I deal/dealt with them. I don't know about this being any kind of guideline to follow for future project posts, but I just hope everyone not only gets something out of it, but that I can provide insights too as to what might be run into with this as well as other kit builds. After all, this is the first time I've even thought of taking pics of the process as well as posting what I'm doing and trying to explain it too.
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
you are doing a amazing job. and well explained too like raven said.i think this thread will be a good for refrence once i start the biuld one dayfreddy

Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook62 View Post
Thank you very much Rhaven. I'm trying to not bog this down too much with details, but also, want to make sure even some of the problems are shown and how I deal/dealt with them. I don't know about this being any kind of guideline to follow for future project posts, but I just hope everyone not only gets something out of it, but that I can provide insights too as to what might be run into with this as well as other kit builds. After all, this is the first time I've even thought of taking pics of the process as well as posting what I'm doing and trying to explain it too.
Well, I can say that you are doing a good job on this so far. Sense this is your first time doing this model, you are taking a good approach to it. I too do the same thing. When I build a model for the first time, I will build it just as the kit comes. If I decide to build it again, then I will add extra detail as I see fit.
Once again, you are doing a good job all away around. Keep up the GREAT work.