PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Fabulous

This is shaping up to be a fantastic model. The A-Wing is one of my favourite Star Wars ships as well. Of all those plastic kits I bought over the years the A-Wing is the only one that actually got built. I think a paper version has been on my to-build list since the day I started the list.

I will be watching this development with great interest.

Steve
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.68 MB
Great job!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
With all of the AMAZING work that you have done on your scratch built models, I have no doubt that this will be a TOP NOTCH kit.

I like that fact that you are making this to be as sturdy as possible. For me, that is a very important factor when I am looking at models. All of my scratch built models are very sturdy.

I will be following this build closely.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
thank you guys! your support is very appreciated!!!

a few things about the model I didn't state before:
- scale: 1/48 more or less
- cannons won't flip: from Wookiepedia => "The slight A-wing's wing-mounted laser cannons could rotate up and down sixty degrees for greater fire control. Some of those designs even had their guns modified to swivel in a complete 360-degree arc, thus providing a nasty surprise to any chasing fighter."... ok, so there's some "official" info about this mechanism, but personally in every SW simulator I played in my life there has never been that possibility, so cannons will be pointed forward and I if you want to chase down a TIE you have to hit it in the a** directly!
- canopy: sorry guys, but really there's no evidence or official image/movie footage about how it can be opened. I searched the web for some details, but I found nothing except for speculations. if you know something about it, please write here your ideas and we can discuss them
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think that the X-wing, B-Wing and Snowspeeder all had rearward hinging canopies, not sure on the Y-wing so maybe there was a predilection towards a rear hinge over other methods in the Lucasfilm design studio...?
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
It might slide forward, if you look at the original movie prop, the grey area (cockpit edge) could be recessed. You might find some idea's in the Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron or any of the other flying games.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I think that the X-wing, B-Wing and Snowspeeder all had rearward hinging canopies, not sure on the Y-wing so maybe there was a predilection towards a rear hinge over other methods in the Lucasfilm design studio...?
Hi SPJ Y-Wing is equiped a "sideward" hinging canopy (on the right, to be precise), perfectly showed in the movie A New Hope (1:46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
It might slide forward, if you look at the original movie prop, the grey area (cockpit edge) could be recessed. You might find some idea's in the Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron or any of the other flying games.
Legion could be right, this guy here made an animated GIF about a possible forward movement... but if you take a look to these videos (X-Wing simulator, LucasArts from 0:07) (and here from 6:35) is clear how LucasArts imagined the opening mechanism, kind of slidind backward of only the rear part of the canopy, but that's not possibile because of that "bulge" (said to be deflector-shield generator), just behind the pilot's head... ILM did not build a prop with an opening canopy, nor a full size A-Wing is framed in the movies :( ahh.... I think this will remain a mystery ok, I can be criticised for my free re-interpretation of RZ-1 dimensions, but there's a limit even for me!

sorry guys, no time today for work, so I'll post some pics of prototype components. from that stage I made some changes.
hope you like
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1010998-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020005-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020006-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020007-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020008-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020010-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020011-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020012-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020012-bis-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020013-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020014-custom-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

wow! bloody brilliant!!! whatta masterpiece
Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM

It looks great! I'm glad to finally see it in the paper form :D And sure, I can help with the textures.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Banned

Interesting project and an interesting approach. I'll definately keep an eye on this thread. Great build BTW.
Google Adsense