PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"

Hi!
while I'm still waiting to post "official pics" of my last model, I thought it could have been a good thing to introduce you my next project, even if I showed here at least one pic about it. ok, where're talking about a WIP and, this time, this model will be free and available in the downloading section, with an instruction sheet (pdf) the most precise and accurate I'll be able to make so don't be too harsh! well, please, don't be too harsh about all this work, because it's my first "official kit", meaning that there could be other brave guys building this ship apart from me, so all my efforts are in order to make something as clearer as possible to build.
I daresay that at least 80% of the model is done by now, anyway be patient oh, yeah: there's one last big issue to solve and I hope to find a smart solution ASAP.
I'd love to state here some considerations made in the begininng of this adventure:

1- about A-Wing "real dimensions" => ok, official lenght is 9.6 m... and we all agree that this is completely nonsense! the web is full of nerd discussions about dimensions with plenty of speculations, movie screenshots, blueprints and whatever, AND what boils down is that, basing every idea on the movie prop (and the pilot's head diameter), a "real" A-Wing would be less than 5 m long... ok, don't know what you think, but I'd never, NEVER, sit my butt in something a little bigger than a sardine box and fly it through outer space ... I remember some posts here on the forum about ILM lack of verisimilitude and different ideas as for sticking to original movie props or trying to give the model a distinct "taste", more reliable, so that's my point of view: I want it to be believable! Mr. Imcold and me had some discussions about this problem and we decided for a lenght of 8.75 m, which is considerably bigger that a tin of tuna but, at the same time, less than 9.6 m that appeared to us to be too much. another point in favour of 8.75 m is that my intention was to make this model in the same scale of Imcold X-Wing, in order to have the possibility to make a diorama or simply a composition; being his X-Wing more or less 27.5 cm (12.5 m) in lenght, a 10-11 cm A-Wing would have been too small and impossible to build with all the amount of details I'm filling it! another thing is that even the disgusting vintage ERTL A-Wing plastic kit contains a pilot smaller than the movie prop one, sustaining the idea that less that 5 m isn't so good, and even mighty Ralph McQuarrie sketch shows a wonderful A-Wing prototype bigger than 5 m, very near to 8.75 m. the last motivation is that I've ever wanted a trustworthy A-Wing model and found only plastic garbage in my life, so now is my turn to make it as I want it to be this A-Wing will be 19,5 cm long, more or less.
ok, sorry to have been so tedious with all this useless stuff, but at least you know why I chose this scale.

2- texture => I'm a total jerk in this field! Imcold offered his help to make them for you, but this was a long time ago and I have to check his willingness again in case, whoever eager for this task is welcome. as always, I invite you to build it and paint it, because in the end you'll see this will be easier than building it with textures.

3- paper => only 80 gr (paper-sheets) and 160 gr (card-sheets) needed; card board of 0.5 mm (not much) and 1 mm.

in the pics: a humble rendering (sorry!- the model still needs other work) and colours variations.
hope you like!
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev1.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev2.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev3.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev4.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev5.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev6.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev7.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-mixcolours.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM

internal scaffold: even naked, I think it's beautiful
ailerons are bent, I know, but that's normal: they'll become straight again once glued together.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020026-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020027-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020028-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020029-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020031-custom-.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Grrrrande Filippo!!!

But the internal structure is always realized with the modeling 3D program?
About this i begin to understand something of blender..slowly learn to use it!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
I always liked the A-wing. Good to see a model of it. Your framework (what you called scaffolding) is pretty impressive, definitely won't have any structural issues. But I think it could have been simplified somewhat. Also I beleive that when you referred to the "ailerons" you meant rudders. If I had any suggestion it might be that you incorporate the rudders into the engine framework that way they would be a little sturdier, but then again I don't know how you plan on skinning it, so it might not be a problem.

Overall it looks awesome so far.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 06-25-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico63 View Post
Grrrrande Filippo!!!

But the internal structure is always realized with the modeling 3D program?
About this i begin to understand something of blender..slowly learn to use it!
Ciao Enrico! Grazie
yes, it's all 3D.
good to hear of your progress go ahead don't give up: once you've understood the bases, the path is easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67 View Post
I always liked the A-wing. Good to see a model of it. Your framework (what you called scaffolding) is pretty impressive, definitely won't have any structural issues. But I think it could have been simplified somewhat. Also I beleive that when you referred to the "ailerons" you meant rudders. If I had any suggestion it might be that you incorporate the rudders into the engine framework that way they would be a little sturdier, but then again I don't know how you plan on skinning it, so it might not be a problem.

Overall it looks awesome so far.
Hi Willja
thank you for your interest and your comments. yes, sorry but sometimes I have to use a vocabulary, so maybe I fail in choosing the proper term: not scaffold but framework (can I say frame too?) and not ailerons but rudders thank you! anyway, you're right and the frame isn't so light, but that's my intention: a sturdy model. sorry guys, I'd love to be a designer as good as halinski or model kartonowy ones, so I know this model won't be flawless... but I'm putting in it all my (little) experience. about rudders, Willja, you're right and I'm pleased with it because that's just what I did, so that means I got a good idea rudders are "rooted" in the engine framework, I'll post a pic soon.
oh, another consideration about framework complexity is that I wanted the hull to be curved as the "real" one, meaning curved on two axis: to obtain this effect I cannot simply explode the hull in just one piece, but I need to make it in "slices" which, once glued together, give the curved effect. that solution needs a stronger framework underneath.
to be honest, apart from "scale issues", there's an error in my model due to lack of reference of movie props, but this time this incongruity is not such a problem, simplifying our work
speaking of simplifications, I had to make some minor changes in order to have a cleaner model, in terms of panel linings and other small details; the biggest change is the cockpit, where I had to recreate a new seat for more room, trying not to lose the original design.
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM

very very cool! I cant wait to see this one!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.02 MB
the A-wing is one of my favorites and so far you are doing her justice it looks very nice!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
very very cool! I cant wait to see this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thokamous View Post
the A-wing is one of my favorites and so far you are doing her justice it looks very nice!
thank you guy!
thokamous, never thought about the A-Wing as a female... after all, why not?

good, a step further:

pic n°1 - ok, I want to be honest, I hate tabs! and I hate everything related to them too, even those paper stripes commonly used to connect airplanes hull sections. I prefer to glue directly two or more sections "head-to-head", using superglue (cyanocrylate), but I can understand that this method could be not so happily welcomed by many of you; as a compromise, I tried to do something in the middle, using tissue paper: it's thin (0.05 mm!) and springy enough to do the job, connecting engine sections. being it so thin, it doesn't affect the building process with its width. I did not try with common 80 gr paper, but I think that using that paper could put an eccesive amount of width, preventing engine framework to slide inside without problems...

other pics - building sequence of an engine
from pic n° 9 to n° 14 - that's what Willja said in his post, about rudders being incorporate into the framework: those little spaces circled in purple are the secret, because they let rudder "feet" to get throught engine paper cover (there are a couple of specific fissures for this, one for each rudder), so once mounted they look like pic n° 14

pic n° 15 - in this model there are only 4 line that need to be scribed, in the pic one of them is showed, with my scribing tool: a little screwdriver almost sharpless, because it has only to press firmly paper (pics n° 16-17: the result, front and rear)
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020032-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020033-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020034-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020035-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020036-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020037-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020038-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020040-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020041-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020042-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020043-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020044-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020046-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020048-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020049-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020050-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020051-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020052-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020053-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020054-custom-.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM

again, other pics: second engine section glued together; pic n°5: result.

from pic n°6 on - first engine details: those "half-ring" can be seen on the origina prop here, where you can also notice those little holes, resembling screws. I decided not to include them in the model because... well, I don't like them personally, I prefer the idea that such an advanced ship is put together with something a bit more futuristic than a bunch of screws

from pic n° 11 on - rudders, different layers: only the central one has "feet", whereas the others not. in this way I manage to obtain a important width (1.4 mm), hiding engine fissures at the same time. I used white glue in this case, and now the rudders are under a stack of heavy medicine books at least till tomorrow late afternoon

pic n° 14: engines covered

from pic n° 15 on - engine prototype: one of the first prototypes I made for this ship, compared to what I built till now (pic n° 16) and the difference is real inner engine structure is the secret, which gives the engine a regular circular rim and proper width, with a "telescopic" mechanism (hope I made you understand what I mean)
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020055-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020056-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020057-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020058-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020059-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020060-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020061-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020062-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020063-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020064-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020065-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020066-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020067-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020068-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020071-custom-.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020073-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020074-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020075-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020076-custom-.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020077-custom-.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:19 PM

comparison pic: not bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-p1020080-custom-.jpg  
Google Adsense