PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It does seem you are having fun with this. Waiting on the new pics
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.08 GB
Talking Give me Head or give me death

Well Marvin got a hold of some chap whose name is Scotty. Says he knows a thing or two about teleportation and could fix the problem in no time. Claims to be some kind of 'Miracle Worker', we'll see.

Looks like he was right, he put Fords head thru the system and it came out right this time. Well almost.
Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-20.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-21.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-22.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-23.jpg

Ok got it attached to his neck and body now.
Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-25.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-26.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-27.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-28.jpg Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-29.jpg

Next up I'm going to take Marvin apart and find out why all the diodes down his left side are always Hurting. Scotty knows a thing or two about androids too and has agreed to lend me a hand.

Ok, all kidding aside I had a fun time building Mr. Ford Prefect and have learned a lot. All flaws are my own doing and not those of the design. BazookaJo did an excellent job and I thank him big, big for allowing me to test build this model.

The hardest part was the head, especially since I lost a couple of pieces and reprinted them on different paper and with a different printer so they were not the same size or color. Was gonna start the head over again but decided it wasn't that bad for a first time build. Besides I planned on building this one over again later when I get some more experience. (practice, practice, practice).

Ford Prefect Hitchiker's Guide (BBC)-ford-30.jpg
The only other place I messed up on was the left arm. I put it together by lining up the stripes on the sleeves. This resulted with the arm sticking out to the left instead of forward. The reference pictures I had had the arm in the middle of the table instead of behind it like mine ended up, but I really don't mind.

For my first model things didn't turn out to bad. Hope you're not to disappointed BazookaJo? Did the best I could. Thanks again for allowing me to test build this for you. Sorry it took so long to post these final pics, real life got in the way...

Well Scotty and I are off to the pub for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster's, can't believe he's never had one.

Cheers,

Rick

Share and enjoy...Sirius Cybernetic
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Maverick - glad you got there in the end :D

As for real life - tell me about it

Considering it's your first build it a pretty darn good try. I'd say the weakest part is def. the head which is somewhat "off-plan" shall we say, but if you're happy with it that's all that matters

A tip for the next time you build it would be to use lower gsm card - anything higher than 160gsm and you're going to struggle with such fine detail. In fact I built the whole thing in 160gsm except for the head which was just plain old copier paper 90/100gsm.

Oh - and don't think that just because you've stuck it together that's the end of it... As once the glue's dried you will most likely need to squash, bend, tweak and pull the head and features into shape. Again, a good reason for using the weakest paper you can print on...

And don't worry about using photo paper etc. it will just bump up the gsm and be harder to work with, and I'll wager your head is no more gloss than mine :D

Okay then - guess I'll have to finish the plans and get them out there. Just give me a week or so to figure out and document the wobble mechanism - as you said - that real-life stuff is a real inconvenience sometimes.

All the very best regards and thanks again.

Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick65 View Post
Well Marvin got a hold of some chap whose name is Scotty. Says he knows a thing or two about teleportation and could fix the problem in no time. Claims to be some kind of 'Miracle Worker', we'll see.

Looks like he was right, he put Fords head thru the system and it came out right this time. Well almost.
Attachment 146783 Attachment 146784 Attachment 146785 Attachment 146786

Ok got it attached to his neck and body now.
Attachment 146788 Attachment 146789 Attachment 146790 Attachment 146791 Attachment 146792

Next up I'm going to take Marvin apart and find out why all the diodes down his left side are always Hurting. Scotty knows a thing or two about androids too and has agreed to lend me a hand.

Ok, all kidding aside I had a fun time building Mr. Ford Prefect and have learned a lot. All flaws are my own doing and not those of the design. BazookaJo did an excellent job and I thank him big, big for allowing me to test build this model.

The hardest part was the head, especially since I lost a couple of pieces and reprinted them on different paper and with a different printer so they were not the same size or color. Was gonna start the head over again but decided it wasn't that bad for a first time build. Besides I planned on building this one over again later when I get some more experience. (practice, practice, practice).

Attachment 146793
The only other place I messed up on was the left arm. I put it together by lining up the stripes on the sleeves. This resulted with the arm sticking out to the left instead of forward. The reference pictures I had had the arm in the middle of the table instead of behind it like mine ended up, but I really don't mind.

For my first model things didn't turn out to bad. Hope you're not to disappointed BazookaJo? Did the best I could. Thanks again for allowing me to test build this for you. Sorry it took so long to post these final pics, real life got in the way...

Well Scotty and I are off to the pub for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster's, can't believe he's never had one.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.08 GB
Paul,

Thanks for the advice about the head. It was definatly the hardest part, was going to scrap it all together but decided it was good enough for now. I think I will print it out on plain copy paper and give it another go. Probably wont be until after xmas.

Got Marvin already printed so will work on him next. Also have a couple of things to build for my son for xmas so will be bouncing back and forth.

Thanks again for all the feedback and for letting me have a head start. Look forward to seeing how Arther is coming along. Will be patient this time.

Warmest regards and respect,

Rick

Share and enjoy...Sirius Cybernetic
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Better late than never :D
Untitled Document

Merry Christmas all H2G2 fans!
Google Adsense