Deck 18: Botany/Crew Quarters Continued

Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB

Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM

More Progress:

Working on this has always been a challenge. This is the third iteration of this project, and I think I have the major difficulties worked out.

Hopefully.

Today, we finally filled in all the damn interior wall divisions in the crew quarters, worked more on the rear shuttle bay deck area (specifically the magnetic attachments between decks) and covered the raw edges of the deck.

Next Up:

Chairs and tables and stairs.
More clean up, including top edging.
Creating the textures for detailing the cabins.
Applying said details.
Final cabin architectural details (Wall/Desk Units, Closets, Sonic Showers, Sonic Toilets).
Hydroponics machines/equipment design and installation.
Decorate Botany section.

Build Pics:

Top overall view. Finally got all those damn interior divisions installed in the crew quarters.

Top view aft, showing the exterior hull and shuttle area. This area is going to be one of the coolest things about the whole ship, and a nightmare to match. You'll see. If you look close, you can see the magnets under the skin at six attachment points along both sides of the shuttle bay 'arms'.

Top close up view of said attachment. I'm utilizing a combination method of friction fit fore and aft bulkheads and magnets to attach each deck to each other and get as seamless an outer hull plating as I can. The hull plating will come later.

Here you can see what I referenced above. This is the deck upper (Deck 17) in place on top of Deck 18. Note how the decks line up and are held neatly in place. Note that this side is missing windows, as additional structural support was needed here and I had to re-skin. We'll come back to this.

The other side for comparison. Still rough, but it will clean up rapidly.

Here you see the forward bulkhead friction fit- it's the uncovered cardboard there. This will later be covered/part of the main sensor array (which are the concentric rings behind the deflector dish). Also, a view through the open floor to the Botany area of Deck 18. There will be a sitting area here eventually.

As it might be difficult to visualize the friction fit bulkhead arrangement, here's the bottom of Deck 17 to show you the alignment. I've often found the simplest solutions are always the best, especially with projects this size. This bare cardboard will later be covered, after any lighting and electronics are first installed.

This shows how the rear friction fit bulkhead slides into place just in back of the quarters and becomes a wall for the shuttle bay.

Closer look as it closes. Forgive all the rough edges, those will be closed later as well. One thing at a time...

So just how big is this? Well, Deck 18 is *not* the longest or widest part of the Secondary/Engineering Hull. But here's an 18" ruler for comparison...

Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM

More Pictures:

So about those rough edges... yeah.

A large part of the challenge of this model has been finding the right combination of materials. I needed something sturdy, light, the right thickness... and preferably cheap.

Those who have read or followed this have seen my first and second attempts revolved around the primary use of foam core board.

Sadly... while it's certainly light enough and cheap enough, it's not strong enough.

It's also FAR too wide for walls and floors.

What worked for the Galactica... does not work for the Enterprise.

Fortunately, I found a particular source of exactly the cardboard I need and so the work can continue. But cardboard gives rough edges, even when sliced carefully. These look... bad. So, let's do something about that.

Here you can see where I've begun to cover all those icky rough edges with lovely strips of paper. Painstaking, but worthwhile.

Side view, unfinished. (Note the untrimmed support ribs before and after)

Support ribs/walls now edged properly. Muuuch better. There will be a mess hall here, after all.

Said strips of edging, for scale:

Front Hydroponics/Main Sensor Array area. Very rough here. The wood bits are matchsticks, and will serve a later purpose. The other side over by Botany looked a little rough too, so...

We'll just have to do something about that. Another look at the Hydroponics area, now much much better/neater.

And continuing along down the side, we can see the difference covering those rough edges makes.

My, that's much better, yes?

Ah, but back to the shuttle bay outer hull. I had mentioned we'd come back to those windows, didn't I?

Another view:

Well, crewmen... that's it for tonight.

TTFN
Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
hey that's all really cool!!
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Looking impressive...
Old 07-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
This is amazing! It's obvious you're putting a lot of love into the "Really Big" E.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 106.24 MB
Where are you gonna keep the thing when it's finished ??? In the barn ????? :D

It's coming along nicely.
Nice work.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM

"Botany Bay..."

Well, not really, but I couldn't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Do these look like weird arse alien plants to you?

More later. Just wanted to document as I go, as if I don't, I'll forget to get pics of the in-between.

Assuming you want them?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Want them? Of course we want them. Otherwise we can't enjoy the build as much. Oh, yes the plants look alien (if vaguely familiar).
Google Adsense