PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Ekuth,

I think the engine setup is just like in the refit. It terminates between the pylons.
A vertical shaft that starts in the impulse engine area, straight down the neck to where it runs horizontally down the spine of the engineering section. I remember one of the preproduction drawings from TMP, I think, that showed there are two decks in the center of the saucer instead of just one like some of the cross section posters have shown.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
How are you going to tackle the Bridge orientation 'issue' ? In that the turbo lift shaft on the outside of the bridge is in centreline, but the turbo lift is off centre on the Bridge itself - thus meaning the Bridge is not orientated along the center line direction of forward travel.
There's no room inside the dome for the turbolift to shimmy around the side. It'll have to be rotated 30*.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
How are you going to tackle the Bridge orientation 'issue' ? In that the turbo lift shaft on the outside of the bridge is in centreline, but the turbo lift is off centre on the Bridge itself - thus meaning the Bridge is not orientated along the center line direction of forward travel.
In one of my references from half a lifetime ago ("Star Fleet Technical Manual"?), it was said that the viewscreen wasn't truly at the front, but rotated from centerline by something like 30 degrees. Remember, it's a screen, not a window.

In effect, the bridge crew are riding slightly sideways.

From a practical TV standpoint, this apparently gave better shooting angles, etc.

I tried some Googling on the subject, and found out that for some this is a MAJOR HOLY WAR topic...
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I have this book:
1/100 TOS Enterprise Mega Build-0729151447.jpg

which shows this about the engineering room:
1/100 TOS Enterprise Mega Build-0729151447a.jpg

and says it's on deck 19 of the secondary hull.

It also says that main engineering was redesigned in 2267, when the dilithium crystal chambers were moved into the center of the room, and main engineering gained a 2nd level:

Found this image:
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I have this book:
Attachment 255276
…And the cover, if you look verrrrry closely (I found an enlarged image), shows the bridge aligned true with centerline.

However, I did find this image (which is what I was referring to earlier:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...e-sheet-12.jpg
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
The bridge situation is one of those things you have to decide for yourself what you want for what you are building. Matt Jefferies' original designs had the bridge facing directly forward with the turbolift directly behind the captain's chair. That was always his intent. That's why the shaft is centerline on the hull. After the models and sets were built, the lift was indeed moved because they thought it gave better shooting angles and kept everyone from coming in right behind the captain. Nobody thought about changing the model and I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to pay for it. Nobody at the time had a reason to care. It didn't get fixed until Phase II when they added a second lift starboard. The original Phase II Enterprise had 2 shaft on the hull port and starboard. Then that got scrapped and the Refit happened and got rid of the exterior shaft housings all together.

Steve Neill is building a 6ft. Enterprise for the Museum of Science Fiction. He knows the story and has worked on Trek. His bridge faces forward because he wants it to look like Jefferies designed it, and he knows it doesn't line up with the shaft. He's doing it his way and encourages everyone to build their models they way they want. I tend to agree. There simply is no coherent original layout for the TOS Enterprise interiors because they didn't need one. It was just TV. All TOS Enterprise blueprints are combinations of original notes, TV references, fan interpretations and wishful thinking. Whatever layout works for you, go for it!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
in the episode where kirk is doubled by the transporter, he says that he would hide in the '' lower decks'' and that shows it to be engineering.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
Ribs, sans sauce.

You raise some valid issues and points, gentlemen. The future will see to the solution(s).

Construction proceeds on the medical deck.

These shots illustrate some of the difficulties I have in matching the upper edge, bottom edge and proper curve of the outer hull- or rather where it would/will be. Sometimes I can cut three or four duplicates, but 98% of the time... each piece must be measured and cut individually.

But Starfleet engineers aren't afraid of a tough job, right? And here at Starfleet Shipyards, we stand behind our work.

Lather:

Rinse:

Repeat:

Thank you for touring our facilities, please mind your step and low-grav areas. Lieutenant Jeffries will see you to your shuttle.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
Secondary Hull Level Fit/Primary and Secondary Sensors Roughing

Ach, mind yer 'ead, sir.

Afore we depart, 'ow's about takin' a wee gander? I need ta check on me crew. Been workin' on tha' sensor array. Least, they best be workin'.

Ah, she'll be a fine lass soon.

Dinnae see me crew...

Work be gettin' on, though.

Let me swing out a tad.

Still have ta finish the sensor arrays... damn slow materials clerks...

Other side looks good... where the devil are Jensen and 'is crew?

Well, tha's all tha' time I kin spare, I'm afraid.
I'll get ya back to Earth now, Ambassador Soval. 'S been a *rare* pleasure.

PS:

The sensor array/deflector dish assembly is a cap. Voila:

TTFN, cadets.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
bgt01 - its only TV. Wat, its not a visual record of real people and events ! (Oh no, sillyme, that's Galaxy Quest, nothing like Star Trek).