PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
What are you using for the pylons/backbone? And how are you keeping that assembly in place? I've always wanted to do a Refit Enterprise floor by floor like this. But, in kind of a semi exploded view. So, you can see everything. Even the people going about their daily lives.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinKC46 View Post
What are you using for the pylons/backbone? And how are you keeping that assembly in place? I've always wanted to do a Refit Enterprise floor by floor like this. But, in kind of a semi exploded view. So, you can see everything. Even the people going about their daily lives.
The pylon and backbone structure is made of steel, angle bracket (repurposed) to be precise. The backbone runs through the turbolift shafts and out towards the bottom of the secondary hull. Due to the turbolift placement, it provides a clean shot from top of saucer neck to the bottom of the secondary hull. This is where I'll be placing the rest of the stand, which will send out 'spreaders' under decks 6 and 7, for the weight of the large saucer sections to rest on. The ultimate idea is to dispose of the need for a support under the saucer. We'll see.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Welcome back Ekuth! I remember when you started this project, great to see it back on the table. I recently returned from a long hiatus myself, due to simply not having room to set up a build table, it's great what some time off can do for your enthusiasm, looks like you're jumping right back in where you left off, can't wait to see more of this project.
Hey, jaffro!

Thanks for the welcome back and compliments. Yeah, it's been... a long while. Lots of warp plasma through the nacelles, eh? Progress is moving quite well, but it will take a while. I'm concentrating on getting everything in place for the steel frame before detailing it out.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:06 PM

Steel Frame fitting

Fitting of the steel frame. You can see how it runs right through the turboshaft area... fortunately for me. Will anchor it and adjust bottom height accordingly after I fit the saucer.

Pics:

TTFN.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
What an amazing build! Good luck with the metal core. That should help a lot with stability. Looking forward to the finish!
Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Thanks, Papierschnitzel.
My wife is betting I'll need a support under the saucer. I'm betting against that.
Speaking of...
Old 11-30-2018, 04:10 PM

Update 4: Walls, Decks, Frame, Neck and Saucer Attachment

Incoming deluge of build pictures.

This time the focus was on getting some of the secondary hull decks walls in place to ensure proper stability. This deck in particular:

Shuttlecraft for reference. Sadly, those little buggers are still just a tad too big, so I'll be having to rebuild them. Which will actually work out, since they're labeled USS Enterprise and that's not what I'm building. I'm building the Constitution, namesake of the Class and the first ship constructed. Nominally.

Anyway... walls for support. Though I've covered this previously here, thought I might give a refresher on the technique.

Wall templates are measured to the EXACT height needed. So if I screw up the cardboard strips by a few millimeters, I can trim off later.

Paste one side to strip, align bottom.

Flip, flatten top edge of cardboard strip with finger, glue in place aligning bottom edge. Requires a bit of careful positioning.

So, now that we have the secondary hull stable and the proper height, we can start assembling the pylon or "neck" section that joins the Secondary Hull to the Saucer Section.

The steel framing I'm using is proving more than up to the task so far.

Layering the 'neck' hulls with walls between each deck enabled me to find the proper height to adjust the steel frame to.

The saucer section in place here is Deck 8, which joins the neck and secondary hull at this point. Coffee cup on the end for counterbalance.

This will, of course, be corrected by the weight of the saucer section- which will be counterbalanced in turn by the nacelles.

The blueprints are actually VERY well designed if you follow them 'as is'. I've only had to make minor adjustments and figure a few things out placement wise, but I'm damned impressed.

More soon, feedback and ego stroking appreciated.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 206.32 MB
I have to say that I must bow to the master . . .

Superb job!

Mike
Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Awe inspiring!
Old 12-01-2018, 04:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
what a build well done very big thumbs up
Google Adsense