ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Good to see you back Chris!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hey Chris! Nice to see you return to these hallowed halls.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
After production holds due to the Klingon threat and materials shortage, the Constitution Class Cruiser construction begins again...

This is Deck 6 you're looking at. Currently in the process of being skinned with the floor texture. Just... slightly... large. This is the ultimate size the saucer will be, as Deck 6 is the largest along with Deck 7.

Deck 6 skinned with decking. Carbon paper at the ready, white glue to tack down any loose edges not secured with the spray glue.

Beginning the transfer of the blueprint to the decking surface. I use carbon paper (yeah, I'm old school, sue me) under the blueprints, which are pinned in place. The blueprints get traced over using an empty mechanical pencil, which won't destroy my already fragile blueprints any more than I already have.

You can see the results of this technique here. Alignment of the halves of the blueprints across the surface of the deck is crucial. A tad blurry, though. Carbon paper can be a bit messy.

Second half of the back side blueprint transferred, with lines cleaned up by retracing them with a fine point black marker. These are simply the lines where the bulkheads (walls) will go. Each of those little boxes are a crew quarters, which will be filled in with beds, tables, chairs, ect; as has already been seen previous in this thread.

How big is this? Well... here we have Deck 6, Deck 7, Deck 5 and Deck 8. These were so large I had to do the base in two halves, butressed by a cardboard strip underneath along the join line and cardstock on top, which gets hidden below the decking as seen on Deck 6 in this photo. The diameter of Deck 6 is 42" - just shy of 4 feet across. Deck 7 is slightly smaller.

I've now cut out all the decks. Here you're looking at (top row, left to right) Deck 9, 10 and 11. These go below Deck 8 and comprise the bottom of the saucer section.f Below these (bottom row, left to right) we have Deck 4, 3, 2 and 1 (Bridge). These sit on top of Deck 5, which rests on top of Deck 6... or will, eventually. Yes, this is going to require a steel internal support structure that will run through both the Secondary Hull and supports at least Deck 6 and Deck 7- the lower decks of the saucer will likely be attached using magnets, as they are much smaller and won't be as heavy. The goal is to avoid having a support pole running from the bottom of the Saucer Section. Yuck.

So there you have it for this round. I remembered to take photos as I went along for you, cadets. You know me, I tend to forget when I get absorbed in a build.

Should have more progress to show you soon. Stay tuned!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 PM

Back to work on the Engineering Section...

Repair work of the pre-existing work and expansion of the shuttlebay infrastructure.
Magnetic attachments to keep everything in line.

Also, first test fit of nacelles (okay, what will eventually be nacelles).

Just going to deluge you with build pics, I'll add in commentary later.

Enjoy.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:21 PM

Second Verse, Same as the First...

Nacelles:

That's yesterday's and today's progress. More soon, stay tuned, cadets!
Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
big wow wow wow and WOW
Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
This looks great! And I love the carbon paper method you are using. I remember playing with it when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it around for years.

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 11-26-2018, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
What are the jars you are using for the nacelles?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinKC46 View Post
What are the jars you are using for the nacelles?
Haha! I was wondering who would ask that first. Well done.

They're Country Time Lemonade and Hawaiian Punch drink mix containers.
You can find them at Walmart.
Empty them out, glue caps to bottom of containers and continue in a chain; tape the seams. This gives them surprising rigidity and light weight.
Detailing will be in paper/foam/mixed media.

When I'm done, they'll look like proper nacelles, but even in this state you can start to get a sense of the completed secondary hull.

Since I'm also designing it to be modular, the nacelles are completely removable.

Thanks for the comments and welcomes back. Hope you're enjoying the build.

~E
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Welcome back Ekuth! I remember when you started this project, great to see it back on the table. I recently returned from a long hiatus myself, due to simply not having room to set up a build table, it's great what some time off can do for your enthusiasm, looks like you're jumping right back in where you left off, can't wait to see more of this project.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense