PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Top 75 Sci-Fi Spacecraft

Hi Friends,

I just found this (rather old) list that is just chock full of interesting anecdotes, history and links to other material.

Well worth reading.

Top 75 spaceships in movies and TV part 5 | Den of Geek

Kind Regards,

Cris
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 891.03 MB
I can't believe he missed three of the most iconic rocketships in the movies, the TWA moonship, the rocket from When Worlds collide, and the Luna from Destination Moon. Definitely the work of someone with little background in science fiction in the media. Aside from the spaceship from "Die Frau im Mond" - "The Woman in the Moon", not a one of the ships are from before 1969. He could have also added the Mars ships from Disney, the Collier series of illustrations.

TomW.
Still one of Captain Video's Video Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Torque View Post
Hi Friends,

I just found this (rather old) list that is just chock full of interesting anecdotes, history and links to other material.

Well worth reading.

Top 75 spaceships in movies and TV part 5 | Den of Geek

Kind Regards,

Cris
Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hi Tom,

I was appalled that the Ark did not make either.

Regards,

Cris
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Scanned through it and there is some interesting info. But this is like what people destroy on the model car board I go to when somebody does a top 10 list of 'best cars to score in' or some other list were it becomes quickly apparent that the person probably doesn't even have a driver's license and wouldn't know some of the cars if they ran over him/her.

Will agree that the TWA moonship, the ark from When Worlds collide, and the Luna from Destination Moon are 3 that should be on it. Especially since I haven't even heard of a few the other movies/tv shows mentioned; although will admit to not being a tv watcher and spending many years working 2nd and 3rd shifts you miss a lot of pop culture.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 AM

I have to admit I just scanned the thumbnails and I have to give him credit for the C57D, Gort's/Klatuu's Saucer, and Dr. Zarkov's ship from Flash Gordon comics.

I got my experience of spaceships from reading and the covers of several SF magazines going back to the late 50's, so I tend to really find the adoration of anything Trek or later that didn't come from something outstanding as being very irritating.

Interestingly enough, I never accepted the Ark from When World's Collide as being the ship Wylie described in his books, which I read at least ten years before I ever saw the movie. His ships took off vertically and landed vertically, with atomic rockets at either end of the ship! Going to have to dig those out and read them again, if they didn't get destroyed in the flood. 200 boxes of books in the garage and we get a downpour here that put 8" of water in the garage and 2" in the house. Got a lot of destroyed books to document for the insurance between 15 to 20 got completely watersoaked. Most of which were 1st edition Paperbacks that were never printed in hardback.

Back to the cataloging.

TomW.
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sorry to hear about your books. I've lost a few to water damage.
Haven't read When World's Collide in probably 45 years so don't really remember the ship's description or how I imagined them. A lot of my ideas of what spaceships should be were from the late 50-60's magazines and paperback covers.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM

That should have read: "between 15 and 20 boxes". Duh!, braindead.

TomW.