PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder81777 View Post
First the falcon and now this, you sir are the greeble master!
I wish I could greeble, no idea how. All I can do is dribble and drool.

Rusty
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewalston View Post
I wish I could greeble, no idea how. All I can do is dribble and drool.

Rusty
It's easy. Print several copies of the sheets and Anything you think needs to stand out roughly cut out the part and either laminate it to the height you need then cut and trim to shape and stick it dwn.

If you need to go in, then cut the hole and then glue the duplicate over the hole from The rear.

It's more about doing what feels right than what it's accurate..

Score panel lines and if you have two or more layers you can heavily score panel lines (and almost if not cut through the first layer)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM

The Neck

a project update...

Here we have the neck coming together. A rather solid piece this as it's made by layering alternate sizes of discs to create the square profile gattor of the studio model...

bought a circle cutter just for this job.... and drastically underestimated the number of discs required
Attached Thumbnails
AT-AT build and up-detailing....-at_at_wip3.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, I'm sure the circle cutter made the job a little easier. That neck has a nice effect.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM

the head is shaping up nicely
Attached Thumbnails
AT-AT build and up-detailing....-at_at_wip4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
Ohnhai, you are doing an amazing job.

i have a question: i was planning to build this (sans greebles ) and i saw you say that the design has flaws - could you please expand on that a little? what exactly is not right and how to fix it?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 AM

The primary problem is the lack of solid instructions. Unless my instructions are incomplete, they seem to consist of one sheet that has a side on illustration and the different components are numbered and that's about it except for an exploded diagram of the foot.

This lack of adequate documentation lead to a misunderstanding as to how the components of the body fitted together. Inparticular the front and rear pannels. They have coloured flaps on them without any tabs. I had mistakenly assumed they folded back and glued onto the outside of the body. The AT-AT has quite a few parts that fold over an edge so I assumed this was a fair call. But my test fitting and subsequent build highlighted that either this was an extremely tight fit or I had done something wrong. I decided to start on a custom build, and that means reference and a 3ds Max build.

So I collected a lot of reference from a studio model and realised quite quickly that rather than glueing onto the outside they folded the other way and then glued to the inside of the upper body to allow the front and end plates to sit inboard slightly.

I actually cut tabs on these parts second time around and glued them flat to the edging pieces. This gave me a larger surface that would sit against the inside of the upper body..

It can also be unclear wether you need to valley or mountain fold certain edges in places, so watch out for that. Again is is down to a lack of solid instructions...

I also found that it was worth the effort to reinforce the body pannels with about two thicknesses of what ever stock you are using to add strength and stiffness to th e model. For me this came about by the greebling but I made the conscious decision to strengthen the floor of the body (do this at the very least). Lastly for the body I cut and glued in two tabbed tents of card that stood up behind the front and end pannels to hold them at their just-off-upright angles while assembling and also as the front panel was glued to its support this should help support the extra weight of the head.. (may yet have to add ballast to the feet)

Haven't got to the legs yet but I would lay odds that it would pay huge dividends to structurally reinforce them internally. I'm planning on gluing zig-zagged cross bracing into the internal box sections of the upper and lower legs..

But other than that it's the piss poor/non-existent instructions that let this kit down.

I'm about to make a few new parts for the underside of the head because the given design is rather weak in that area.

Last edited by Ohnhai; 01-19-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Looking good; yeah, I agree, the 'instructions' are horrible, but I some how managed to figure it out, I didn't have any problems with it not wanting to stand upright, but I just left it how it was, the head on mine didn't strain the neck, but I used a medium card stock. Hope you don't have too many more problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Hey Ohnhai
Super build you got goin on here
Allthe additional layering really makes it POP!
Quick question...What are you using for edge coloring?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Hey Ohnhai
Super build you got goin on here
Allthe additional layering really makes it POP!
Quick question...What are you using for edge coloring?
A mixture of grey felt tip (various shades) coloured pencil and lead pencil (technical)
Google Adsense

Tags
at-at, custom, ohnhai, star wars, walker