PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.35 MB
Venator Republic Star Destroyer

Hi,

This is only my second post here (the first one is in the introduction section), I hope I'm posting this in the right section because I have a question.

I'm realy new to papercrafting and with every hour I'm modeling I get more excited about this fantastic hobby.
I had to choose the first model to build and since I'm a Star Wars (and other sci-fi) fan I picked the great VenatorSD that hawkman67 uploaded here.

I prepared the botom hull section for adding the bays and bulkheads (see first pic) and now I'm looking at the lateral docking bays.

Does anyone know how to place these (see pic 2) inside the hull ?
They're wider then the parts for the door sections and the're also very deep, the trench section is in the way.
I can scale them down and make them fit but that's not the intention I think.

Some help would be realy appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Elko
Attached Thumbnails
Venator Republic Star Destroyer-dscf1693small.jpg   Venator Republic Star Destroyer-venatorclass-hangar-forumpic.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Elko,
I am happy to see someone using the add-on parts I created for the Venator. I did not creat the whole kit, just add-ons for it and parts to make different ships.
The lateral bays are supposed to be larger than the doors as they are secondary launch/landing bays. I got the idea for them from a few episodes of the series that showed the interior of the bays. I did not realize that I made them too long. You can shorten them up so as not to interfear with the trench. The dorsal hangar glues directly to the upper hull part if used. I had planned on making actual bays for the Dorsal hangar at some point. If you have any more issues or questions, please by all means ask, I will do what I can to help..
Jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks Jeff for your reply.

I allready figured it out and made the bay less deep. The arrow on the bayfloor starts directly at the entrance of the bay now and it still looks good

I'm thinking of closing the bay doors at the other side of the ship so you can see both options.

I'm not opening the top hangar, it would brake up the original shape of the ship a little to much for my taste. The bulkheads are great though and I'm placing them about 2mm into the hull.
You've made a great add-on for this ship and some nice challenges for me as a beginner.

I'll put some pictures up again when I've made a bit more progress.

Cheers,
Elko
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Ugh my camera acts up or the batteries need replacing instead of just a recharge.

As soon as my camera is back in the saddle I'll post some pics.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking forward to it
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Same here,
The 2mm sounds about right for the bulkheads. I made them so that they could be put out on the edge of the hull or recessed as desired, I have seen them both ways..
And I agree on the dorsal hangar, I will have one of each way to show how they look. There is another way as well. In the last movie it showed a set of smaller doors that retract into the big ones about midway down the length. Those could be shown opened and the larger ones still closed..
Jeff
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, that looks nice, can't wait to see more...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Well here's the update on my Venator.
I'm working on the superstructure at the moment, for the second time because I messed up the first time. I'll post pics of that when I got then ready.
This might not be the hardest models to make but for a beginner like me it's a nice challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Venator Republic Star Destroyer-ven002.jpg   Venator Republic Star Destroyer-ven003.jpg   Venator Republic Star Destroyer-ven004.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Nice job so far!!!
It is turning out well I like how the hangars look.
Jeff
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman67 View Post
Nice job so far!!!
It is turning out well I like how the hangars look.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

Your version of the Venator is very nice.
Only downside is, I can't get the superstructure right, I've printed the sheet three times now and still it's not going where I want it.
The side trenches and hangers are nicely in place and I made my own elevated upper-baydoors who turned out good.

After three times of messing up I thing it's maybe better to set my mind on something else and look at it later again and start fresh where I left it.
I used to do that when I was still buiding plastic models.
If a paintjob or something else just wouldn't work I started a new build of something else, after that build I picked up the one that didn't work out and most of the time it did then.
If you keep trying the same thing over and over you get frustrated and don't learn anything, when starting something new in between you gain new skils that could help completing the former model.

I'll give it one more try and then I'm pressing the pause button for this one.
I will pick it up later then, I can't set a nice model completely aside, I never could in the past either

Cheers,

Elko
Google Adsense