Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Project Thor Mecha

I got this from the designer today:

Hi,
The comic is dead, so Thor is clear to go:
B@F's paper models gallery
Let me know how it builds, photos are also appreciated ;-).

B@F

Go get it! And don't forget to thank him!
Attached Thumbnails
Project Thor Mecha-thor-predloha.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That is beautiful, but I'm sure it is beyond my meager abilities.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM

3 pages of parts...not that bad.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Sooo...anyway I got this done a few months back. I was going to build a diorama, but just didn't have the time. I'm posting it with some old blurry build pics and some finished pics. Also, with the kind permission of the designer, I am posting a few comic panels to show the inspiration.

You can build it either static or pose-able. I chose the latter, not realizing that the designer had forgotten to make the ankles pose-able as well. The end result was a figure that is like one of those tap dancing dolls that you place on a piece of wood and make the arms and legs swing. No biggie, but I would have modified the design if I had not realized the problem so late in the process.

Anyway, to the overall build: clear instructions and assembly drawings. Pretty straightforward. I noticed the paper model was going to glaze over some of the detailing of the CG model, so I started with printing two copies so I could add the raised surface detail.

The list of mods:

I added the raised surface detail to the torso, including the eagle, grills, swastika, electric shock warning (on back), ring around the optic lens, built up the tread on the feet and built up the claws as well.

I cut the venting hole son the the dual radiators (but gave up recessing the gray areas after several tries - too fiddly) and the cooler on the electric gun (left arm).

I replaced all smaller hydraulic pistons with q-tip stems (rolled, paper ones, of course) and the hoses off the dual radiators as well. I also replaced the electric gun tube with a leftover from another project and used paperclip sections for the chain gun "arms."
also replaced the electric gun tube with a leftover from another project and used thin paper strips reinforced with superglue for the chain gun "arms."

I created mini rolled pistons for the shoulder joints as there were none for the model, but clearly shown on the CG model and the comic reference pages the designer sent. I also modified the shoulder cap to more closely mimic the CG/comic design as the center is supposed to be recessed and not flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Thor Mecha-1944-thor-comic-pics.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-feet-bottom.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-feet-complete.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-torso-side.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-torso-front.jpg  

Project Thor Mecha-torso-iso.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-back-complete.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-shoulder-piston-hand.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-shoulder-pistons.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-torso-legs-iso.jpg  

Project Thor Mecha-torso-legs-side.jpg  

Last edited by ARMORMAN; 09-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:01 PM

And now, the final pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Project Thor Mecha-thor-front.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thor-rt.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thor-bk.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thor-lt-side.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thor-iso.jpg  

Project Thor Mecha-thorfeet.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thorupshot.jpg   Project Thor Mecha-thor-downshot.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shiny! Thank you for the pictures and build report. Finally there is a proof the model is actually buildable .

The shoulder actuators are a neat idea, as well as the other added detail.

You're right, the ankles beg for a degree of freedom. The reason they are fixed is they wouldn't work: the cog sections at the front would have to move through parts they can't possibly fit in. And you can't just omit them, they're important part of the mech's look.
The joys of comic book physics .

BTW, the picture at the top of the thread is hand-drawn. There is no CGI reference at all.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM

The cog workaround (in my opinion) would be to extend the arc so that it slides a way into the upper foot shroud and the lower leg. It would not allow full range of movement, but it would allow for some amount of pose ability.

Nice drawing, BTW.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 PM

Original link is not working. Here's another:

Moje modely ke stažení