PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Inspired by "Iron Sky"

I saw Iron Sky recently, and was inspired to build a flying saucer themed to the movie. Without giving too much of the story away, the premise is that Hitler didn't die by his own hand in the Berlin bunker. On the contrary, he and some other top Nazis and their families fled the Earth in a giant flying saucer to a base on the dark side of the moon. There, hidden from view on the moon, their descendents are multiplying, and awaiting the day when they can launch an invasion to reclaim the earth. A chance encounter with an American lunar astronaut sets the invasion in motion. It's great, campy fun with better special effects than you might expect. If you like weird, funny, offbeat movies, I recommend it.

There are some really nice Haunebu saucer models out there, but since I planned on doing some Photoshop work, I wanted a blank slate to work from. Rocketmantan's simple "Vril ship" model fit the bill perfectly. His saucer's shape is accurate for a Vril 7, but the small windows and door, make it appear huge. I'd scale it at around 1/450, which works out fine for my purposes.

Bryan Tan's model is a simple medium grey overall, so I jazzed it up with some mottling and lighting effects. The side of the passenger tower has "Berliner" in red centered between swastika flags. The designation "F-1" (for Fuhrer 1) is opposite. I adorned the top with a Black Sun insignia. I think it looks pretty cool. Bryan even included an interior with the model, but I don't think I'll use it since the top won't be removable. There are no instructions, but it's a very simple model. So....here we go.

First, I joined the saucer top edges using an internal glue strip to form a shallow cone. The highlights and shadows are "painted" on with Photoshop

Next, the passenger compartment (mannschaft) was formed into a loop, and the roof was glued to 1mm carboard. It will be inserted into the wall from below, and glued in place from the inside. I cut a second 1mm disc the same size which will be recessed into the bottom of the mannschaft enough to clear the disc dome and to keep the cylinder nice and round.

That's all I have done for now. More to come shortly.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
oh yeah!
keep going and make this saucer available please!
great!
hilter saucers are the best!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Well, the mannschaft is in place now. After I assembled it, I applied a bead of glue all around the bottom edge, and placed in on top of the upper disc, centering it carefully. I placed the assembly on a glass table top, and placed a weight on the roof to ensure a good 360 degree glue seal, and to make sure the disc will be perfectly flat. In this photo you can see how the mannschaft has cast a "shadow" behind it.

The thumbnail at the bottom is a photo of a Vril 7 with Sigrun, one of the Vril Gesellschaft (Vril women) mediums in the foreground. She is purported to have piloted the Vril 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Inspired by "Iron Sky"-vrilphoto_zps12dda36c.jpg  

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 03-02-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

i like the iron, steel look of it, and the shadow is cool.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for your comments SA-9. The Haunebu and Vril saucer craft were supposedly made of an alloy called Victalen. No idea what that metal looked like, but the mottling in my recolor adds some interest and reminds me of the edge of a saumurai sword. I wasn't sure how the cast shadows/highlights would work out, but I like the look. I'll try to capture the backside of the mannschaft into the next photo - it's a dark as the shadow across on the saucer. I got rocketmantan's OK to do the recolor for my own amusement, but I'd have to check with him about making the model available for general download. So far the fit of the parts has been spot on.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

a back drop of ice and sky, a few half top subs in the antartic flow....and your saucer floating over them......
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM

Neuschwabenland!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

i dont know a lot about hitler's flying saucers, i have a few pm's and i have read a story about a battle down there and have seen a few pics of what looks like some kind of jet hover saucer, like a helicopter inside vented blades for the hole of the saucer, but thats only a guess on my part, i dont know what is making it look all sucked in. i have heard something like they had spinning barrels of mercury inside that made the saucers levitate. it seems fascinating. also that pleadians or someone helped hitler's scientists in ww2 on rockets and advanced weaponry and also on the saucers. other than that i dont even know what neuschwabenland means.
but i am waiting for your saucer to be released!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

grey fade

i dont know if you will like this or if it will help,
but here is a grey fade.
Attached Thumbnails
Inspired by "Iron Sky"-grey-fade.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Did the same guys that made star wreck make this
Google Adsense